Looking for Cessna 501 Citation. Thurman Munson's plane.

Goatman24

I've become interested in finding the same plane to download that Thurmon Munson (Catcher for the Yankees) had died in back in 1979 in Canton, Ohio. It was a Cessna Citation 501. Probably 1979.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, first time it's been full. Just did.

Thanks

Mitch

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

I seem to remember media reports from back then that Munson's aircraft was a Lear jet(?). I even recall from other reports that a Lear was not a plane for an inexperienced pilot (such as Munson) to fly. Perhaps back in '79, everyone thought a business jet was a Lear?

Several times a month I drive past the crash site and think of him every time.

There's a good Youtube video about the accident and interviews the two guys that came out without a scratch.

He definitely was not used to flying a jet. He came in too slow, lowered his gear then tried to increase his throttle but it was too late. If he would have been in a prop plane the response would have picked him up right away to make the runway. Instead he landed in the field before the runway and ended up hitting a tree stump. The autopsy said his neck was broken and that if they could have gotten him out of the plane he would have been paralyzed. The two guys tried hard to get him out but the fire became too intense. His first words after coming to a stop was asking the other two guys if they were all right.

His wife thinks he would have sold the plane because it was too much.

RIP Thurmond.

From wikipedia:

"Munson had been flying for over a year and purchased a Cessna Citation I/SP jet so he could fly home to his family in Canton on off-days.[26] On the afternoon of Thursday, August 2, 1979, he was practicing takeoffs and landings at the Akron-Canton Regional Airport with friend Jerry Anderson and flight instructor Dave Hall.[1][2][27] Shortly after 3:40 pm EDT, Munson had received clearance for takeoff and three touch-and-go landings on Runway 23, which were completed.[28]

While on approach for the fourth and final landing on a different runway (19), Munson did not extend the flaps and allowed the aircraft to sink too low before increasing engine power, causing the jet to clip a tree and fall short of the runway. The plane then hit a tree stump and burst into flames,[29] on Greensburg Road, 870 feet (265 m) short of runway 19"

In 1979, it was thought that Munson's knees were giving out and that his catching days were numbered. It was thought he might go to either first base (dubious), or catch on occasion. This was way before the DH.

I myself become a staunch Yankee fan around 1960 after the Brooklyn Dodgers, (my hometown back then) flew the coop. I've stuck with the Yanks in the really bad years, (CBS ownership) and have been rewarded with some incredible years.

I was working nights in the NYPD 911 center when I heard the Munson news...

The 501 is essentially identical to the Cessna 500 / Citation I but certified for single pilot operation. Review of the FAA Cert sheets for both show identical weights, speed limitations, etc except for some differences in instrument arrangements, not really too important in using a Flt Sim panel for a 500. Suggest getting a good Citation 500 / Citation I model and all will be well.

Had to Google the name to find out who the person referenced in this thread was. A baseball player it seems? I admit I stopped following baseball back whenever it was that the 1st player got paid $100,000, which I thought was an obscene amount of money for catching a ball or hitting it with a stick.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

hey mr zippy been a long time u gave me some good tips in the past wen i mucked up my sim if your still out there i have a few issues i could use help with untill i hear back hava a great 1 if ur still out there thx again for your help