GPS help needed! Please

davidc2

I am brand new to the X-plane, however, quite familer with FSX. I am using the stock Cessena 172, have read and watched everything that I can with regards to using the GPS/waypoints. I thought I had it down, however, no matter how simple the flightplan (KJAX to KCRG), does not work

I take off from KJAX, put the nav switch to GPS (already have the flight plan loaded), ensure that I click NAV on the GPS, then set my VS and then ALT. However, the flight path that I am suppose to take does not show up on the GPS. I know the GPS is working, I can select HDG and steer that way.

Suggestions?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Having recently migrated from P3D to X-Plane I struggled with the GPS / Glide slope as well. It took me a while to realise that the operation of the Autopilot / GPS varies from aircraft to aircraft and that on some the Flight Director has to be engaged before Nav or GS etc. I have to activate the AP TWICE to get the GPS to engage when using Saitek Panels

The separate manual for the C172 AP (included in X-Plane docs) is worth the read to make sense of its operation.

Gordon

After reading the manual (again, lol) and thinking about my procedures, it occurred to me what the problem "might" be. I use Sky Vector's to set up my Flight Plan. The first place it has is my takeoff location, which in some cases is 1-3 miles from where my plane actually is. I take off and the AP tried to fly to the first waypoint, which is where I left. I eliminated the first waypoint (airport in this case) and things have improved. Still not 100%, but better,

I also found out that if I have to do (for example) a hard left turn, that the AP may not recover and stay on the path. I have to turn the heading bug to where the plane will eventually intersect the flight plan on the GPS, once there it picks it up and continues. If it is a very small turn, it usually handles it without any problems.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality