lines between land texture rectangles

Roger Wensley

Years ago Holger Sandmann told me how to turn a water lake to an ice lake, and I froze Canada for the winter, and posted the result. He also told me how to get rid of the dark lines that appear from a certain distance between the rectangles of ice. I did not do that as it was 10 minutes per lake and I didn't have the 20 spare years to do every lake in Canada. As a result I cannot now remember what he told me. I now have the same problem with grass textures for an airport and need to fix it in the required 10 minutes. Instead of chasing up Holger and bothering him I thought I would ask on here.

The idea was to save the originals too, and you could move from summer to winter and back by ticking or unticking the winter textures in the fs9 library list. They are still posted here on flightsim.

No Tom, it was actually doing something extra, like making another "ice" texture that spanned the gap between adjacent "ice" LOD rectangles in the lakes. So in a big lake it took some time. Making the initial winter ice textures was very different and I was making hundreds of square miles in a few minutes by blanketing the whole area but only affecting the water, not the land. If you look at Holger's three west coast texture areas you won't see any rectangular lines in his lakes as he only had a few to fix and he probably got it done in one day.

So I guess I hassle Holger.

Tom, given that Holger does not reply to my email, and given that I still don't remember how, and given that you are the only person to make a suggestion, how would I do what you are suggesting? Maybe you are suggesting what Holger already described but I don't know enough to recognise it as such.

Tom, what I did to freeze the lakes was to make a huge VTP2 polygon in SBUilder, then select coral as the polygon texture, and voila the lakes looked like they were frozen and could be landed on with wheels or skis, and the land just looked like there was snow on the ground. But, in the middle distance there were black lines visible in the "ice", just as there are now in my airport grass background.

Tom, it didn't work. I made a trial "gap cover" polygon over one gap and gave it layer 1 while the original grass is layer 4. No success. I then tried loading the "cover" into a separate scenery folder and giving it a higher FS9 library priority above my Gander scenery and again no success. All the gaps are still visible. Ah well, never mind. Unless layer 4 is a higher priority than layer 1? Try again Roger.