usb drive backup Fs9 question.

HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

I have seen a 128gb usb stick drive (Robert Dyas UK)cost £14.99.

Could I backup my Fs9 installation to it like any other drive?

Fs installation 80 gb approx.

At present I have a backed copy on an old 360gb external drive, but there is very little capacity left on that.

I like the idea of a usb stick drive ,very neat and tidy and no new cable to add to the tangle of cables crawling across my living room floor.

Thanks

Andrew.

Hi Andrew, it'll work fine - I have a 2Tb usb memory stick for the same purpose and it cost about the same as the 128gb one you've found. Search on ebay uk for "2tb usb memory stick".

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Andrew, it'll work fine - I have a 2Tb usb memory stick for the same purpose and it cost about the same as the 128gb one you've found. Search on ebay uk for "2tb usb memory stick".

Thanks Tim I'll probably go for the 128gb for now as RDyas is on my doorstep,but it's good to know that even larger capacity drives are available.

It's a day for Fs9 maintenance IE backing up, as the weather is grim and set to be so for the rest of the day.

Hope your ok in your part of the world I see that parts (if not all )of Yorkshire are particularly badly affected.

Cheers Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, fortunately I live halfway up a hillside in Calderdale which is in the news at the moment with the army building flood defences in one village. It's still raining so we're hoping Elland bridge doesn't get washed out again.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Andrew,

as a reminder. In addition to backing up FS9 (FS2004) folder it seems a good idea to also back up the FS9 folder in the main PC drive (Windows C or so)/Users/Your Name/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9 mainly if some parameters were changed there. (You need to unable view hidden files to see the AppData folder). Also I am backing up the Flight Simulator Files from Documents folder. Trivia? maybe but good to know. PS got all backed up 3 times:)

Cheers

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Andrew,

as a reminder. In addition to backing up FS9 (FS2004) folder it seems a good idea to also back up the FS9 folder in the main PC drive (Windows C or so)/Users/Your Name/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9 mainly if some parameters were changed there. (You need to unable view hidden files to see the AppData folder). Also I am backing up the Flight Simulator Files from Documents folder. Trivia? maybe but good to know. PS got all backed up 3 times:)

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter

i am not quite sure what you are saying,but i have my 'normal' installation of Fs9 in C:fs9.

Today ,rather than going down the flash drive route i decided to buy an external SSD 500GB .

The first thing i did was to make a backup of my C:Fs9 to the new SSD This appears to have gone smoothly.

Another question if i may.

The SSD is drive E.

I clicked on the Fs9 exe ( in the backup drive E)and the sim starts and runs correctly.

Is the version of FS9 running the backed up version or my normal C:drive version?

Addons seem to function normally as well.

Hope that makes some sense.

PS what ever version is running ,the important thing is that FS9 backed up.

PPS the software i use for backup is BESTSYNC 2019 freeware version (has always worked well)

Cheers Andy

PS Tim (Tiger1962)

I hope the rains have stopped.

It looks pretty bad in your neck of the woods and Wales as well.

Thanks Andy, we got away with it this time, but we really feel for South Wales and elsewhere in the South of England.

Hi Andy,

Very interesting questions and truly, I never started FS from my external (back-up) drive. But assuming that if you click FS9.exe in the external (back-up) drive it probably looks at the files from the same drive? Perhaps someone with more know-how can answer it?

On backing the FS9 folder from the roaming folder (mentioned previously). This is an additional FS9 folder created by FS (when first starting) and can be tweaked to enhance some scenery and flying configuration. Mine is tweaked, so have mentioned that baking it up is also a good idea.

I am strongly suggesting the tweaks - in AVSIM search for the real environment: fe9_v1_3.zip.

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways