Mission Briefing - font / text size?

pomak249

Hi Peeps is there anyway to change the font and text size used by FSX in the mission briefing notes on the kneeboard?

Cheers

Mick

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Yes, it's in "style.css" which should be in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Missions\Common folder. Make a backup of style.css first so you can revert if you mess it up. Start Notepad and drag style.css into the open Notepad window. Probably most relevant would be:

.article-bodycopy {
font-size: 8pt;

and:

.BRFbodycopy {
font-size: 9pt;

Try changing those to font-size: 12pt; and see if that helps.

I doubt this will have any effect on 3rd party missions as they most likely won't use the MS style sheet to set these parameters.

Jim

Hi Jim sorry to say it doesnt work?

I have added a long list of my addon airport scenery to the 'nobrief' htm in UIRES, they show up under ALT>Aircraft>Kneeboard>Briefing when in the game but the text is too big and it appears 'Briefing' text is on wordwrap by default. I was attempting to reduce the font size so the list would appear normally. Sadly reducing the text size (9pt to 6pt) in the style.css headings given has no effect.

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

That one isn't tied to the style.css so you'd have to treat it as straight html and put at the beginning of your added text and at the end.

[color="#FF0000"][/color]
Addon airport #1

Addon airport #2

Addon airport #3

etc.
[color="#FF0000"][/color]

You may have to play with the size because "size" and "pt" produce different results, size=6 is rather large where 6pt is quite small.

Edited by Jim Robinson
added <p> for line breaks

Thanks Jim i will try this over the weekend. Will the list appear ok without the line breaks

? I have a very long list !!!!!!

Mick

No, you don't have to use them, it'll look the same as it does now without them, just smaller text and it'll of course wrap differently as a result. ...but if you need a line break with a blank line you can use

or if you just want to go to a new line without the blank line you can use

Basically you're coding an old school web page in html, you can do all kinds of stuff with it, if you're interested check out https://www.w3schools.com/html to learn more than you ever wanted to know, lol. You might find the

tags come in handy for example: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp

You can preview nobrief.htm in your web browser rather than firing up the sim to see it on the kneeboard, then when you edit and save nobrief.htm you can just refresh the page in the browser to see the changes.

Jim

Thanks Jim that did the trick, i dialled back to font size=1 and it looks great. Still cant get around the wordwrap issue but with a little jiggery and spacing between country sets it looks cool. Fascinating website too i tried changing the text colour using

but it didnt take - maybe a limitation in FSX? Now i can check which airports have addon scenery before selecting one!!!!!

I'm glad you got it sorted out! I used to make some really cool flight briefings back in the FS9 days, they'd have screenshots, maps, links, etc. The FS9 kneeboard had a lot more functionality than the FSX kneeboard. Back in the day you could link to outside web sites and display them right on the kneeboard. I had a web hosting service so I set up a PHP/MySQL database of all the airports in FS9 and put a search button on the kneeboard_keys page. I also played around with virtual airlines for a while, here I was working on "Livewire Kneeboard v2.1" with Spokane Intl pulled up:

n706lw_kpdx04.jpg

...but then FSX came along and broke most of that functionality on the kneeboard, most likely due to security reasons you could no longer link to anything.

BTW you can change the color using the tags too, here's more stuff you can play with:

red text

...or use hexadecimal values:

red text

...or do size & color in the same tag:

blue size 1 text

...and the font itself:

size 1 tahoma text in green

...and bold:

bold text

...italics

italic text

...underline:

underlined text

Edited by Jim Robinson
OCD

Youve really opened my eyes to the possibilties of this Jim thanks a lot. Just a quickie do the ???> go at the bottom of every line/sentence you want to change? IE

???????????????????????????????

Thanks for all the help

Mick

Hi Jim I figured it out by playing around with it! Sadly the font face will not change in the FSX briefing window (it does change in the online HTML tho?) - I have tried trebuc and segoeuisl to no avail. But what a difference tho!!!! cheers!

Mick

Well, this one starts it and this one ends it so everything between the tags will be underlined, if you wanted to do a whole paragraph in bold then you could do like your example

This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph.

or like this, either way's the same in the browser:

This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph. This is a paragraph.

Hi Jim I figured it out by playing around with it! Sadly the font face will not change in the FSX briefing window (it does change in the online HTML tho?) - I have tried trebuc and segoeuisl to no avail. But what a difference tho!!!! cheers!

Mick

I didn't see this post last night apparently, sorry. I just tested

text

When in doubt use quotes, it never hurts anything.

While you're at it try an image:

..\SimObjects\Airplanes\Bombardier_CRJ_700\Texture.2\thumbnail.jpg

The ..\ means go up one level (..\..\ means go up two levels, just an FYI), so nobrief.htm is in the Uires folder, going up one level puts you in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder, then from there down to SimObjects\Airplanes\Bombardier_CRJ_700\Texture.2 and display thumbnail.jpg

...if the image is in the same folder as the html then all you need is the filename:

airplane.jpg

...image alignment, this will position the image on the right, sort of embedded into the paragraph:

..\SimObjects\Airplanes\Bombardier_CRJ_700\Texture.2\thumbnail.jpg

This is a paragraph of tahoma text wrapped around an image aligned to the right. The CRJ (Canadair Regional Jet) family of aircraft was derived from the Canadair Challenger business jet, which began its operational life as the LearStar 600. The Bombardier Canadair CRJ700, which entered service in 2001, is a stretched version of the CRJ100/200 regional jet, with increased seating capacity from 50 to 70. With increased length and upgraded landing gear, the CRJ700 features a longer wing span and leading edge slats. Like other members of the CRJ family, the CRJ700 features an electronic flight instrument system (EFIS) avionics suite and "glass cockpit" instrumentation.

...you can adjust the size of the image (in pixels) if needed:

..\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172\Texture.3\thumbnail.jpg

Jim

Hi Jim i'll try the "...." thing, maybe i have missed out a step somewhere? Wish i knew how to post my nobrief.htm on here you would prob spot an error straight away!!!

Any idea what the blank.htm is for in the UIRES folder Jim? BTW i sorted the font issue - trebuchet MS is simply given as trebuc in the FSX font folder? Changing to trebuchet MS did the trick. Thanks for all your help

Mick

Edited by pomak249