Excessive climb in a C172SP

firstenburg

I'm experiencing a very odd behavior, suddenly after 100-200 ft AGL after takeoff, my C172 begins climbing at a rate that exceeds 2000 fpm because the VSI needle buries itself. During this behavior, my AI shows an upward pitch of 5-7 degrees, throttle is at 2400-2500 (all the way in), and no significant weather is in place. In other words, all systems are normal. My departure airport is KIDA (4744 MSL).

At first I assumed perhaps I had a significantly higher pressure system setup at 5000' MSL or something that might account for the sudden strange climb behavior. But nope, no such a thing is in place. Also, once I get to about 6500 MSL, things chill out and my climb/descent begins to act more normal. As expected in a 172, I begin to see about 700-900 fpm with 5-7 degrees up on the AI.

I'm using one of the stock C172SP's available in FSX under "Free flight".

Anyone else experience this issue? Or have any ideas what's going on here?

Unseen thermal activity? I've hit what I've called "hat sucker" thermals before in a 172 IRL. And I used to fly RC sail planes with an 89 year old former flight instructor that swore that the Piper Tri-Pacer made an incredible thermal rider and an even better slope soarer. I always laughed when he said these things because it was a well known fact that he could slope soar a brick like it was weightless.

My opinion is that it's because of the 'AI' you are riding (IE: Artifishal Intelligence). Ha! I crack myself up sometimes.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I saw no issues at KIDA; there are some thermals in the area but still are miles away from the immediate airspace AT the airport...

L

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

...sail planes with an 89 year old former flight instructor...

His nickname wouldn't happen to have been "Goldie", would it?

That's the name of my flight instructor that taught me to fly a glider when I was 14. In Calistoga, Ca., and it had both, thermals and some fantastic ridge lift on the cliffs to the NE of the airport. Upper end of the Napa Valley.

Just curious as to just how small this world really is...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! I took off from KIDA in both the stock 172 and the Carenado 172N. I could barely managed 500 ft per minute and never experienced the super lift.. Good looking little airport though with nice FPS. I'm perplexed. Would like to know if there's a solution found.