Bug with the Statue of Liberty in Las Vegas?

BlueSox14

Hi all,

When I've only got a couple of mins available and I need to unwind, I often just buzz the strip in Las Vegas at night. I like the lights and trying to navigate my helicopter through. I hope to visit Las Vegas (all the way from Australia) in the next two years.

Something that has irked me is the Statue of Liberty at the New York New York hotel. It's all black at night. See attached image.

20200202190322_1.jpg

I've tried to confirm if this is a bug (or just isolated to my set up), but there appears to be no information on this on google. I've tried googling images to see if anyone else has taken screenshots to confirm this bug, but the few images I found are inconclusive.

So can anyone confirm if they see the same thing in their FSX set up? Trying to confirm if this is a bug. If so, are there any known fixes?

Ta!

Trent

I've just installed and tested the Vegas_X.zip scenery from this site, and it all works day and night:

http://p3d.o.oo7.jp/LV.html

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Tim,

I appreciate you checking that out for me. I haven't checked out the alternative because I've been obsessed with trying to fix this one. Stuff like this burns my brain...I'm getting close to finishing up with this and then I might check it out.

As you can see below, I pretty much have a fix...but I'm currently exploring whether there is a more elegant way to fix it with the people over at fsdeveloper.

SOL4.jpg

Trent

Great job Trent! My hope is that an Effects guru will one day make a better Aurora Borealis/Australis than the default one.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi cobalt,

Let's see if we can get this resolved for you.

Based on what you're describing, it sounds like the texture files haven't been properly copied over.

Make sure that you've done the following:

1) From the download file, copy FSX\scenery\NAMW\scenery\LasVegas_SOL.bgl to your FSX installation directory\scenery\NAMW\scenery\

2) From the download file, copy the 4 texture files from FSX\scenery\NAMW\texture\ to your FSX installation directory\scenery\NAMW\texture\

Step two is going to replace 2 texture files in your texture folder. When asked whether you would like to overwrite or replace these files, be sure to say yes. I have provided the 2x original files that are being replaced in the download too, so you don't need to back them up.

That should resolved any problems you're having. Let me know how you get on.

Trent

This is exactly what I did. The files are in place as you describe -- still a black statue (pedestal is OK). Everything else looks normal.

OK, I was able to partially solve the problem by placing your .bgl and texture files in a new folder placed in add-on scenery. This gives a lighted statue, but lacking the face and torch! Weird.

Hi cobalt,

Sounds like you got it working, although I can't explain why it wouldn't work in the NAMW scenery folder, it does for me.

This is how it looks in my FSX:

SOL2a.jpg

As you can see, Microsoft didn't exactly do a great job with the texturing here, and there is no real torch model. It's a low res, low poly model. Someone might be able to enhance the textures, but unfortunately I don't have those sorts of mad phat skeelz.

If your Lady of Liberty doesn't look like the above, try the following steps:

1) Return everything to normal. Delete the LasVegas_SOL.bgl. Paste the original textures back into place.

2) Fire up FSX and make sure you get the same old silhouette of the green goddess at night.

3) Close FSX. Paste the new nv13b.dds and nv13b_lm.dds into FSX\scenery\NAMW\texture.

4) Fire up FSX. The Statue of Liberty should now have disappeared like below. If it hasn't, something has gone wrong. Get back to me if this is the case.

SOL2b.jpg

5) Close FSX.

6) Paste the LasVegas_SOL.bgl into either FSX\scenery\NAMW\scenery or the addon folder as you did previously.

7) Paste the nv13b_sol.dds and nv13b_sol_lm.dds textures into either FSX\scenery\NAMW\texture or the addon folder as you did previously.

8) Fire up FSX and see if Lady Liberty has returned to her nocturnal pedestal.

If it suits your taste better, it is possible to get our lady to look a little brighter at night like below.

SOL2d.jpg

To do this you will want to have the same day time texture file (nv13b_sol.dds) as the night time texture file (nv13b_sol_lm.dds). So, make a copy of the nv13b_sol.dds file and save it as nv13_sol_lm.dds.

I hope all this makes sense. Good luck!

Trent

Thanks -- I certainly appreciate your efforts on this. My Vegas Lady Liberty still has no face -- only a black shadow. But I think this is all the time I want to spend on this issue, for now anyway. Fortunately my real Statue of Liberty (the one in New York Harbor) looks good!