Staying low but not slow in B.C.

Rupert

As most of you know, I'm an old chopper jockey and therefore most used to low level flying. Some say we get nervous more than 3,000' above the terrain. And nose bleeds about 5,000' AGL. That's not 100% correct in my case. But even when RW GA flying in a fixed wing, if I was just out for the fun of it and not on a trip, I usually stayed under the 3,000' AGL. There's so much you don't really see when up high.

These shots are from around Victoria British Columbia. And yes, they're real world weather according to the METAR. Even in January along the coast 40*F is not an unusual temperature. What is unusual is it being this clear this time of the year! Enjoy it when it's this nice, it might be another month before you see it again!! ;)

And yes, props to ORBX for their wonderful scenery!! ;)

Michael

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Lovely photo essay Michael. Interesting to see a helicopter pilot flying fixed wing on FSX, I am yet to see someone posting pictures of rotary wing ships on here. Well, to all intents and purposes the pictures you posted are lovely.

Best wishes.

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice flight Michael! Your flight and mountainous scenery reminds me of one I fly on the West Coast, an approach thru a mountain pass and then thru the opposite end for a normal downwind to base to final approach. Took me several times and some good notes for future flights. Really has you on the edge of your seat!

Thanks for sharing your flight Michael. Glad to see you back enjoying what we all have come to love over all these years!

Rick :cool:

Beautiful scenery in your shots. Nice set!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Lovely photo essay Michael. Interesting to see a helicopter pilot flying fixed wing on FSX, I am yet to see someone posting pictures of rotary wing ships on here. Well, to all intents and purposes the pictures you posted are lovely.

Best wishes.

Khalid

Hey Khalid,

In the Corps we all put in many hours learning the basics in fixed wing planes. Choppers' per hour cost is totally out of the roof, even for the military!! :mad::o So yes I've always been comfortable with a fixed wing. In fact a buddy of mine had a Beech Bonanza that we tore the west coast up in.

I don't "sim" rotary winged because I've never found a "sim" that responds even similarly to a RW chopper. I've got all the hardware, collective, cyclic, rudder pedals, etc. to perform a sim flight. I just have never seen software I could afford that made it accurate enough to enjoy. :(

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Never been in a helicopter before, but I did enjoy low level work in fixed wings. Very nice work on these shots! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Khalid,

I don't "sim" rotary winged because I've never found a "sim" that responds even similarly to a RW chopper. I've got all the hardware, collective, cyclic, rudder pedals, etc. to perform a sim flight. I just have never seen software I could afford that made it accurate enough to enjoy. :(

Michael

Exactly my thoughts, Michael. Despite having only done a couple of hours in a Hughes 300, even I was able to tell that FSX / FS9 do not represent piloting a helicopter adequately.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]