Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

liner simpilot

Mark, have a look at that picture of that golf game.. Is it still being supported? Obviously not.

You are aware, or should be, of the addons for FS2004 that are still being released.

Maybe you can understand why a 20 year game is obsolete, and a 17 year old one, is not, and runs on the latest operating system.

FS9 or PGA 2000 are equally dead. Support is when the game developer is still working on the game or providing help to users. If FS9 breaks tomorrow due to a Win 10 update, MS won't be there to fix it for you.

I'll always be able to run my old games till I'm no longer here. I won't achieve this by usng Win 10.

Regarding the OS market stats.

MS has massively struggled to get the world off Win 7 since the launch of Win 10.

They are still struggling and doing everything possible to force you off your old OS.

Company I work for are on Win 7. They are not changing I can tell you that.

Mark Daniels

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark, if FS2004 is dead, why are you still on the FS2004 forums? FSX is also, according to your 'standards' dead as well. So you should be, must be going the X-Plane route.

Of course Microsoft is in the business for the money. Every successful business should be, as they are responsible to their shareholders.

Interesting to read your comment that MS has struggled to get the world off Windows 7. Pity that Windows 7 is at a constantly dropping 25% of the market. Microsoft did the same by getting people of XP at the time.

Companies should note the following comments from 'Wired', 'Information-age' & others..

“Above all, it’s important not to see Windows 7 coming to the end of its life as a negative event,” he said. “It’s an opportunity for businesses to transition to a more secure and superior OS.

Further insight into security issues for companies continuing to use Windows 7 was also provided by Carl Wearn, head of e-crime at Mimecast.

“As Windows 7 remains in use across many organisations at present, people should be aware of the increased vulnerability which this OS will now experience as it is no longer supported,” he said.

“Ensuring good cyber hygiene and the use of fallback facilities, as well as ensuring the updating of a good antivirus solution, becomes even more critical to an organisation if it continues to use an unsupported OS.”

BTW, can you let us have your PC specs?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Mark, if FS2004 is dead, why are you still on the FS2004 forums?

I play games I consider good, dead or not. It's the reason I play so many of these "obsolete" games. Give me game play, quality and features over graphics any day. It's why I use FS9 because imo it is still the best overall flight sim. Absolutely no other reason I am using it. It's why I'm here. FSX, that's good too but it really needs a CPU that doesn't exist yet. When one does, I may switch to FSX. I still have no faith in the new MSFS being an option.

Of course Microsoft is in the business for the money. Every successful business should be, as they are responsible to their shareholders.

Interesting to read your comment that MS has struggled to get the world off Windows 7. Pity that Windows 7 is at a constantly dropping 25% of the market. Microsoft did the same by getting people of XP at the time.

It's dropping because all the software and hardware manufacturers want to make maximum profit. It is best for all of them to have the world on one operating system. It is not best for the user. They are now doing this by forcing people to Win 10 via every avenue they can and making Win 10 the only option to run new software and hardware.

To run old software and games, Win 10 will never be a good option. It is the best option for new stuff. If one sits here playing a 17 year old game, I cannot understand the support for Win 10.

BTW, can you let us have your PC specs?

My Win 10 machine:

i7 8700K 3.7GHz

32gig RAM

Nvidia 1660Ti

Mark Daniels

I for one am very skeptical that 2020 will make me move off FS9, for many of the reasons stated above. It my be 16 year old technology but I'm still amazed at how really great it is. If only MS had just taken the FS9 version and upgraded it while allowing all the add-ons. But I know that's naïve. If I find that 2020 can be as smooth as FS9 is on my high-end computer (doubtful), and the add-on planes and airports were as good, I'd gladly spend thousands to upgrade. But I'm betting the stuttering alone will keep me from buying in. I'm still miffed that the later version of Flight Sim don't offer as smooth an experience FPS wise, but it's been enough to keep me away.

Hi,

Remember these?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/microsoft-accused-of-adding-spy-features-to-windows-7-8/

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2983633/microsoft-pushes-windows-10-upgrade-to-pcs-without-user-consent.html

I have an old PIII with WinXP for my older stuff and for testing/editing FS9 aircraft/airports.

For actual flying I use an i7 with Win7x64.

I don't intend to move from FS9 and Win7 anytime soon. Too much time and work invested in addons (aircraft, WoAI packs, airports, me editing stuff).

And I don't like all this always online stuff. No Steam or Uplay and certainly no Origin on my PCs... When I'm not online that network cable is pulled. So I buy GOG only now. If it means missing out, so be it. I have stacks of old boxed games, some of which not even unwrapped, left to play for the rest of my life.

After MSFS has been out a while I'll check out to see what it actually does. I'm not really bothering with all the promo talk now.

Regards,

DDP.

• 3 weeks later...

Fake news! There is no such thing as MS FS2020.

There is the new forthcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator aka MSFS that has not been released yet.

It's only in Alpha development, still to go to Beta development, before being released.

So, no such thing as yet!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• Founder
I see MS FS2020 on ebay but to download .. ?????

What you are probably seeing is FlightGear packaged as Flight Simulator 2020. FlightGear is open source, and can be downloaded for free, but people have been packaging versions and selling it under various names for years.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?12915-Op-Ed-Buyer-Beware