Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

liner simpilot

I have 7 different installs of FS2004 in my Windows 10, including Golden Wings, a huge Alaska install with mesh and a lot of payware scenery, a Vintage install, and even a Space install with space scenery, not forgetting a Ford Tri-Motor Project install, all running perfectly.

I'm not sure why people are hesitant in upgrading from an obsolete operating system, when you can have smoother FS2004 results in an updated operating system.

Because Win 10 is junk and you can have 100 installs of FS9 with all or mostly self contained freeware aircraft and you likely won’t have problems. If you run complex aircraft, gauges, utilities, you will find Win 10 is not that great.

Did you try FS Recorder and to bring up the control window with FS in full screen???

FS doesn’t run any better or smoother in Win 10. If that was the case for you, means your old PC wasn’t working well.

Mark Daniels

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure why people are hesitant in upgrading from an obsolete operating system, when you can have smoother FS2004 results in an updated operating system.

I don't consider Win7 "obsolete". W8 was a cell phone on a 23" screen, W10 is legalized snoopware that has removed too many options from the user (not to mention a program that updates itself is fine, one that wants to update anything it finds on the system is unacceptable).

Robin makes a Win 10 statement and then just like that..POOF...gone! Happens all the time. haha

I'm still trying to get that control window open in FS Recorder and asking advice from the one who has 7 perfectly working installs of FS9. This is the 3rd time I've tried for help!

I also don't understand why 7 perfectly working installs require compatibility modes and running as admin? Funnily enough, mine don't.

I'm also struggling to understand why an obsolete system would not be best for an obsolete game?

The internet says that Win 10 is not good for obsolete games. Silly internet!

Please come back Robin. Please help me understand!

Mark Daniels

I'm here..

So, Mark, I do have complex addons. I also do not have every single FS2004 addons ever released. Sorry, I do not have FS Recorder as I do not have a use for it. I have FS Panel Studio though, working well, as I set up panels in a couple of sims that we have built.

By the way, for those who do not like the 'tablet' format of Windows 10, maybe you have inadvertently set the Start menu to Tablet mode.

Obviously you can change the Windows 10 GUI to look like Windows 7 by using any of the freeware Start menu look-a-like replacements.

Yes, it is strange running as Admin. My most recent install did not need that, but a few of my previous installs did. Anyhow, it's quicker to do than to explain.

Mark, always here to help. I have a day job, so I might not be able to answer or comment as quickly as you would like.

Cheers and regards

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I'm also struggling to understand why an obsolete system would not be best for an obsolete game?

The internet says that Win 10 is not good for obsolete games. Silly internet!

Please come back Robin. Please help me understand!

Hi Mark,

As a big fan of "old games", I have to say that Windows 10 (from my experience anyway), works almost flawlessly. Head on over to GOG.com and you'll see what I mean, as many of these old classics now run natively on Microsoft's latest OS (not to mention Windows 7, OSX and Linux).

To give you an example...I published an article a while back on a game I enjoyed as a kid; F-19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?18935-A-Look-Back-at-F19-Stealth-Fighter-by-Microprose&new_comment

Not only was the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable, it was also rock solid!

Windows XP was a great platform, but from what I experience in the gaming world, and also the developers I speak to, Windows 10 is the platform of choice, and rightly so...even for classic gaming :-)

Regards

Dominic

Haha...thanks Robin.

You didn't touch on why the obsolete game would be better on the newest system rather than an obsolete system but I'll take what I can get!

Long live Win 7. Be hard to get people off it despite attempts by yourself or Microsoft.

No problem, Mark. If guys are happy 7sing an unsupported operating system, with no further security updates, great for them. I would rather be using an operating system that is continually being updated. As far as comments saying that the PC is not in the internet, remember that all addons will come somewhere off the internet. So, just keep an eye out for security issues.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Mark,

As a big fan of "old games", I have to say that Windows 10 (from my experience anyway), works almost flawlessly. Head on over to GOG.com and you'll see what I mean, as many of these old classics now run natively on Microsoft's latest OS (not to mention Windows 7, OSX and Linux).

To give you an example...I published an article a while back on a game I enjoyed as a kid; F-19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?18935-A-Look-Back-at-F19-Stealth-Fighter-by-Microprose&new_comment

Not only was the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable, it was also rock solid!

Windows XP was a great platform, but from what I experience in the gaming world, and also the developers I speak to, Windows 10 is the platform of choice, and rightly so...even for classic gaming :-)

Regards

Dominic

Hi Dominic,

I am aware of GOG. I'm aware of all the workarounds and methods to fix old games. Win 10 simply is the worst system for old games. Even some of the GOG games you speak of are not fully made compatible and have issues related to newer systems although they will run.

I can give you a host of games that will run on any OS but on Win 10 are completely dead. Even games that do still work on Win 10 might now have new issues like poor fps, stutters, etc.

It is the most terrible system for running old stuff. For the first time in my life, I can no longer run everything I want from the one PC.

As Win 10 continues to evolve, the list of dead old games will only grow. Even GOG warned you on every game page that if you ran Win 10, they could not guarantee the game would not break due to Windows updates.

For new games, yes, Win 10 will be the way to go and likely the only option. eg MSFS.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Just looking at GOG's games, they might've removed the Win 10 warning now.

What does this mean? Totally guessing here but I would say this:

They will support the game and fix it when a Win 10 update breaks it.

When it's not possible to fix it, they will remove it from their catalogue.

The game will be gone forever.

Win 10 is all about extinction and forcing people to move on, stay current and keep buying.

You won't be "forced" to do any of that until you move to Win 10. You won't be "controlled."

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

I understand what you are saying Robin, nobody is forcing you to upgrade, some though did upgrade thinking it will be a better OS because it is newer, I upgraded from Windows 7 because I got the message telling me it wasn't genuine.

I tried to re-register then got the message it was already in use or something like that, well that was my fault because I had installed it on a few computers in the past plus on my daughter's laptop.

So then I upgraded to 10, there was a rollback but I left it to late so now I'm stuck with it, but I wish I had stayed with Win7 and put up with the message.

It is true some people are using Win10 with no problems and some are not, we have all read where someone has installed a program on whatever OS and got a problem and get replies from others saying they haven't had any problems, try this or that etc.

Col.

It's not only games... It's becoming more & more difficult to find drivers for things like printers, scanners & such like, for non supported operating systems nowdays.

Nobody is 'forcing' anyone to upgrade to Windows 10.

Of course they are forcing you, you even gave reasons! Further examples to your own:

If you want a new PC, you MUST use Win 10 or the hardware won't work.

If you want to use MSFS, you MUST use Win 10 or it won't run.

I can't see how anybody who is on this specific forum can happily promote Win 10 or the way things are heading.

You are playing a 15 year old game.

You paid once for it and never had to pay a cent since.

Another version came out (FSX) and you chose to stay with the old version.

Many stayed with this version because they can still run it on their 10 or 15 year old PC's.

With Win 10 and MSFS, you can be absolutely guaranteed you won't be doing any of the above again.

Choices like the ones you had and made in the past to be here on this forum today using FS9, those choices will be gone.

If MSFS is still around in 15 years, you will have to pay for MSFS many times in those 15 years. Not just once as FS9.

If in 3 years MSFS changes and you don't like what they have done to it, you won't be able to stay with the old MSFS version like you did with FS9 ignoring FSX.

You will have to keep playing what they give you or you will have to give up flight simming.

When your hardware is too old and too slow to keep up with MSFS as it further develops, you will have to upgrade your PC or simply not use MSFS. You won't be able to keep holding on to your old system using an old MSFS version.

It's the keep repeatedly paying or don't play model.

No one will get to sit there and play a 15 year old version of their flight sim on their 15 year old PC as some do now with FS9 in the future.

You will either keep up with the latest everything and keep paying or you will lose it all.

This is the model Microsoft have brought us with Win 10. This is why Win 10 is free even today. It is bait. In time, you will pay for your copy of Win 10 many, many, many times over.

Open up your wallet, let MS take as much as they want.

This is what Win 10 is all about.

Mark Daniels

It is true some people are using Win10 with no problems and some are not, we have all read where someone has installed a program on whatever OS and got a problem and get replies from others saying they haven't had any problems, try this or that etc.

Col.

Hi Col,

I speak of the games that are broken for everyone. You will not find one successful working installation anywhere on the internet. The list of games is only growing. Here is an example I have shown twice now. It's PGA 2000. It did work perfectly on Win 10 until an update killed it. There has not been one report of someone NOT now having this issue. It is happening to everyone's installation. All animations in this game now look like the golfer.

It's easy for people to sit on an old game forum like FS9 while the game is still functioning and say Win 10 is great. People playing PGA 2000 said the same.

Opinions tend to change when Win 10 kills your fav game.

Imagine if what you see below happened to your FS9 clouds? Suddenly all your nice white flluffy clouds looked like the golfer. Yes, something like this certainly could happen with the very next Win 10 update!

Would people still play FS9? Nope, don't think anyone could put up with psychedelic clouds. The game would now be dead just like PGA 2000 is dead for people who played that game.

Those on Win 7 or XP, they will be able to just keep playing on without any problems.

golf_problem1.jpg

Mark Daniels

I'm with you there Mark, I turned off any updates as a lot more did and somehow MS got round it and installed them without permission, I have them turned off again but most likely MS will get round that too.

Imagine someone coming in your house and painting one of the walls without your permission, you wouldn't like it, but MS has come on to your PC and changed something without your permission.

As for MSFS maybe MS will just take the money from your bank account, don't worry, you won't have to do anything, leave all that to them, they will be kind enough to send you an email after they have taken it lol.

Col.

What a silly comment suggesting killin off FS2004.

Yes, it's 7 years old, BUT..

We can have multiple unique installs of FS2004.

As the late garry Smith sail.. "Flight Simming is all about Fun, Facts, & Fiction"!

We have Carl Reddin's stunning Space scenery.

We have Garry's Ford Tri-Motor Project planes & scenery

We have Misty & Tongass Fjords

We have a very decent Avro Shackleton aircraft

We have add-ons by Shessi & Milton that other sims do not have.

We have Erwin's boats, planes & vehicles.

We have the RAF's Red Arrows in GMAX, in an animated 4 formation that you can actually change the aircraft in flight, as well as a 9 aircraft formation.

FS2004 has a huge range of Golden Wings, Vintage & Low 'n Slow aircraft & scenery.

Some of us have not gone the FSX route for various reasons, such as FS2004 just works, & you spend more time flying than tweaking, for the above reasons, & obviously it works on most 'normal' PC's & laptops without hectic upgrades, & obviously it works in Windows 10!

Not forgetting that I'm sure most of us has moved away from 20 year old gaming, or have found more updated versions of obsolete games.

So, even though the sim is 17 years old, it has features that more modern sims have.

Obsolete? I think not, as developers are still supporting it. (Unlike windows 7!!)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Not forgetting that I'm sure most of us has moved away from 20 year old gaming, or have found more updated versions of obsolete games.

So, even though the sim is 17 years old, it has features that more modern sims have.

Obsolete? I think not, as developers are still supporting it. (Unlike windows 7!!)

So 20 year old games are obsolete and 17 year games are not?

The point of all this and it appears to be completely missed, is that you have NO control over how long you can use FS9 for or all those add-ons you listed. MS will decide when FS9 is obsolete and make the decision for you if you are running Win 10. It might very well be tomorrow.

Those on the other obsolete systems will be able to continue to use FS9 until they determine it's time to stop if ever as FS9 will work on Win 7 and Win XP forever.

If you are on Win 10, you will likely at some point be forced to move on to MSFS if you want to or not.

MSFS will be a money pit and you will have to keep filling MS's pockets in order to flight sim.

You won't have the cheap or free options like you have had for 17 years with FS9 and the other operating systems.

Mark Daniels

MSFS will be a money pit and you will have to keep filling MS's pockets in order to flight sim. You won't have the cheap or free options like you have had for 17 years with FS9 and the other operating systems.

How do you know? Nothing but assumptions and I can't remember that any Windows OS before Win 10 has been free.

Mark, have a look at that picture of that golf game.. Is it still being supported? Obviously not.

You are aware, or should be, of the addons for FS2004 that are still being released.

Maybe you can understand why a 20 year game is obsolete, and a 17 year old one, is not, and runs on the latest operating system.

Maybe you should try running Dosbox for your older games.

According to data published Saturday by web metrics vendor Net Applications, Windows 10 added 3.7 percentage points last month - almost twice the increase of the month before - to end January at 57.1%, a record high. Windows 10's portion of the user share of just Windows PCs climbed almost two points, to 64.8%.

The now-retired Windows 7 finished January - and its allotted half-a-score - with a 25.6% share of all personal computers, down a whopping 4 percentage points (also the second-largest decline ever in one month), and at 29% flat for those systems running some kind of Windows.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

How do you know? Nothing but assumptions and I can't remember that any Windows OS before Win 10 has been free.

Yes, based on the assumption that MS are there to make money and not provide charity. Someone will have to pay for the 10 year development, streaming etc. You think you will have the option to pay for MSFS once and never have to pay for it again like FS9 and FSX???

People are also thinking add-ons will be like the past with base game, then free and payware add-ons from 3rd party developers. Let's see what happens here. DLC's are big revenue for game developers today and I'm sure MS will be taking a piece of it. Question is how?

Mark Daniels