Anyone else sick of price gouging?

Striker213

I just got my old FSX Deluxe copy up to FSX Gold specs(FSX Deluxe with Acceleration) by adding the Acceleration expansion to it. But every time I try to find a legit copy FSX Gold in very good condition its almost always price gouged. I originally got my FSX Gold at Walmart for under $20 brand new(unopened) back in the early 2010’s which has since stopped working which forced me to get a used copy of the Acceleration expansion for almost $20.

Since then, most online sellers are charging upwards of $40 some even over $100 per copy of FSX Gold. I seriously doubt the expansion is worth anywhere near that much. At most maybe $50($30 for FSX Deluxe & $20 for Acceleration seems reasonable to me) for a never opened copy. What made these sellers justify these insane price gouges for FSX Gold? I get that the EH101 P51 & F18 are desirable aircraft for allot of players but not worth insane price gouging even if the copy was never used or even opened.

Edited by Striker213

Im not sure I have gold, was there a plain version and gold a deluxe? I burned mine not long after buying them, there is free software out there to do this, looks like I used alcohol soft years ago to burn dvd 1 and 2. I will see if they are still good, I will have to see if ms is ok with sending you a copy of a 15 year old game.

_20190311_204857.JPG

There was FSX Deluxe which I bought originally new & then they made the Acceleration expansion pack for it. They eventually ended up combining both to make FSX Gold which I ended up getting instead of getting the Acceleration Expansion & tacking it onto FSX Deluxe since I was starting fresh with a new PC at the time anyway. Then allot of years past by & one of the install disks started to fail so I ended up regretfully tossing my copy of FSX Gold. After a little while longer I ended up wanting the Acceleration content after jumping back into the hobby again.

At first I tried extracting the content from the old hard drive which kinda worked at first but started having issues. Missions didn't work right(no dialog or waypoints) & planes flew erratically & texture glitches like instrument panel lights not working at all, aircraft canopies turning all black instead of remaining clear glass & of course registration errors that prevented me from playing for more than 30 minutes. It was a mess. This eventually forced me to just get a used copy of Acceleration expansion pack & just tac it onto FSX Deluxe since all copies of Gold were to expensive to me.

Edited by Striker213

What made these sellers justify these insane price gouges for FSX Gold?

They don't have to justify them.

All that matters is that some people are obviously prepared to pay that price.

If you were selling something, wouldn't you want to maximise your profit?

It's called supply and demand!

Yes, go with no-hassle FSX-Steam. I installed it four years ago and have no regrets (never had the Gold edition). Steam (Dovetail Games) even has an an app that will check FSX files for errors and repair them for you at no fee. Besides all that, the Steam version reduces some of the quirks inherent in the Discs.

In the meantime, I'd bide my time until "2020" is released...

Yes, go with no-hassle FSX-Steam. I installed it four years ago and have no regrets (never had the Gold edition). Steam (Dovetail Games) even has an an app that will check FSX files for errors and repair them for you at no fee. Besides all that, the Steam version reduces some of the quirks inherent in the Discs.

In the meantime, I'd bide my time until "2020" is released...

That’s pretty much what I’m doing. Exited for FS2020. Been far too long since the last major MFS release.

Planning on building a gaming PC sometime this year to get the most out of the new graphics & stuff in FS2020. Right now, I’m just running my old CD copy of FSX on my basic off-the-shelf laptop PC that I got in 2018 for college stuff. The Acceleration expansion I snagged for $18 from a used book store online which to my surprise came with a copy of 2004 History of Flight inside to.