First switch box

jbearnolimits

I'm trying to build my first USB switch box. I have all the items needed but am curious about the switch type I can use. I have about 10 power on off switches. But I am concerned that I may need momentary switches instead. Would it be possible to use the type I have or do I need to get different ones? I imagine throwing a switch needs to only send a single pulse and not a continuous one?

It depends on what switch you are trying to replicate in the sim.

For instance a battery switch needs to stay on until you turn it off . Rocker switches are

used in this situation on the aircraft that I use.

A momentary switch can be used for instances where you switch it on but the sim

switches it off, say for heading hold switch that the sim switches off when you

turn on the nav hold switch.

I made this mistake on my autopilot module so now when i switch to nav hold I have to

remember to switch off the heading hold switch ready for the next time I want to use

heading hold.

That said, there are ways to that you can program the switch to be on in both positions but then

you would not have an option to switch it off if you needed to yourself.

So basically you need to think about how the switch in the actual aircraft that you are replicating operates.

Hope this makes sense.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I'll get you the name of the board a little later. But basically I am going to be using the switches for turning on and off the lights. When I got them I was just thinking of what I would need it to do in the real thing. Like flip to on to turn them on and leave them on until I flipped them off.

But then I thought about how the sim works and started thinking maybe I was supposed to have a switch that when you flip it on it only sends 1 pulse and doesn't keep sending it. But I am not wanting the switch to spring back into the off position.

I'll get you the name of the board a little later. But basically I am going to be using the switches for turning on and off the lights. When I got them I was just thinking of what I would need it to do in the real thing. Like flip to on to turn them on and leave them on until I flipped them off.

But then I thought about how the sim works and started thinking maybe I was supposed to have a switch that when you flip it on it only sends 1 pulse and doesn't keep sending it. But I am not wanting the switch to spring back into the off position.

It wont keep sending a pulse unless you set it to repeat in the sim or fsuipc. A simple on off toggle switch is fine for lights unless of course they are 3 position off/taxi/land like in my aircraft.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by stinger2k2

Thanks, I have to admit this project is intimidating. I've never done anything like this before and looking at the board with all the holes on the sides that apparently do different things is freaking me out lol.

I've looked at a lot of tutorials but they all seem so technical that my head spins. Any advice on how to wire the board up to the switches?

A lot of the tutorials say to connect one wire here and another over there, but why no just connect them side by side? Why all the complicated criss cross?

I have to admit that i used Leo Bodnar boards which might be a bit more exoensive but they are so simple to use and also to maintain if you need to delve in later. The one i use from him are push fit so no soldering involved.

I have to admit that i used Leo Bodnar boards which might be a bit more exoensive but they are so simple to use and also to maintain if you need to delve in later. The one i use from him are push fit so no soldering involved.

Yes, i was going to mention that the Leo bodnar is very easy to use . Is one of Many boards I have installed in my sim

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk