Opinions about web servers

goodpaster

We have been with our current server for three years now, however, due to issues (blocked access, slowdowns, etc), we are considering transferring to a new host when our contract comes due again.

Does anyone have experience with running phpvms 5.5.2 on A2 or Godaddy servers? I prefer to keep the server in North America.

Thank you,

-Ken

Thank you, but I am a pilot not an IT professional. AWS may be the best solution but it complicated setup and pricing plans make it too difficult. I am also not a fan of traffic based pricing model as I don't want blip of high traffic to create a large monthly bill. I am more insterested in hosts that provide free and easy transfer service.

I found my host through the website forum called https://webhostingtalk.com

Go there, create a thread and ask, and/or do your research on hosts. Since you don't know anything about servers, etc, you will want a manged VPS for the phpvms software. When it's managed then the host can configure everything for you.

I'd stay away from GoDaddy, Bluehost or Hostgator. Many gravitate towards those for some reason and I don't know why, but I've heard a lot of negative crap with them.

Amazon AWS is a bit complicated to setup. I use the AWS S3 service myself on my board to offload attachments for server segregation and to improve page load times. But there is a lot to learn about it and I still don't know everything.

Edit-

Come to think of it, you could probably go with a shared account rather than a VPS and install the phpvms that way. Looks like you just need to upload the files via FTP and create a MySQL database. Modify the config file to reflect the database and you're good to go. I've never used this software, but they have tutorials it looks like.

Do make sure you download a backup of the public_html files and database at least once a week. I do this with my website, encrypt the whole lot and burn it to Blu-ray RE, DVD/RW and upload to a cloud provider, my local FTP in my house and it's saved on all my computers. Plus, my host makes an offsite backup once every 24 hours.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I am with a small hosting company now that specializes in hosting for VAs using phpvms. The problem is they are a small company and at least once a year they get blacklisted. Someone buys into the shared hosting and either does not setup security correctly or purposely causes trouble. Once a server ends up on a blacklist it takes months to clear everything up. That is why I am looking for an alternative host and considering a bigger company. I suspect that a server farm managed by GoDaddy will not stand for being blacklisted.

I am on shared hosting now and that should be all that is needed for a VA. A VPS is five times more expensive and what will I gain from the VPS over a shared host? I think there are other things I can be spending my money on other than a VPS host.

I was researching here: https://hostadvice.com/ for best customer reviews. But what you often don't see are the details such as Cpanel access, ability to select php version, and management of php. I ended up with the wrong server solution early in setting up the VA and I want to be careful making the jump to another hosting solution.

Thank you for the advice.

I made an edit after I made my post about you not having to use a VPS. And like I said, you should visit webhostingtalk.com and ask around. Plus, the website has all kinds of hosts offering deals and what not and you can read their reviews form actual people who've used them.

AWS may be the best solution but it complicated setup and pricing plans make it too difficult.

Look at Lightsail. Yes, it involves reading but it's still simpler than an aircraft manual.

I am also not a fan of traffic based pricing model as I don't want blip of high traffic to create a large monthly bill.

You get several terabytes free, then .09 a gig. Trust me, you won't exceed it.

I am more insterested in hosts that provide free and easy transfer service.

There is little to no intersection between "free" and "good".

Cheers!

Luke

If you don't have any issues with it being in Canada I've been using Canadian Web Hosting for my .com for over 10 years and I haven't had an issue with blacklists or downtime. Given the exchange rate from US to Can it might be worth a look. I had phpVMS on it once for a short time but it was due to my dislike of the app not the service provided by the host.

B) It takes money to make money.

It's a VA, of course, it is a money pit.

But, my time is worth something as well. There would have to be a huge benefit to learning a whole new system to change to AWS or a VPS as opposed to just shared hosting. Sure lower cost has some benefits with AWS, but that seems like a lot of work without hearing from someone who is successfully running phpvms on AWS.

I don't want to be a guinea pig either.

Free hosting won't work easily with phpVMS and some of the addon modules you may use.

Have you looked into vmshost.io ? It is run by the developer of phpVMS. Pricing seems reasonable. I know a few guys that use his hosting and they seem happy with it.

There are a lot of other good hosts out there too. While a VPS is nice, it really isn't needed.

As for your VA and phpVMS - I suggest you visit the phpVMS forums. Lots of help available there to assist you in setting up and running your VA.