Williamsport Regional (KIPT) to Roanoke Regional (KROA) Engine Trouble!

So I'm going to take a nice low and slow flight over the Appalachian Mountains. Thought I would take a single engine prop. Well, on the way I hit some snow/ice. Things were going fine until the engine started running rough, lost RPMs and airspeed and was on my way down in the mountains. (Not sure why the engine simulated loss of power)

PART 1

fsscr001.jpg

fsscr003.jpg

fsscr004.jpg

fsscr005.jpg

In the snow/ice

fsscr007.jpg

Not long after this, the engine went rough. I turned to a small field but was going down too quickly. I then aimed for a lake figuring I could either ditch or just make the shoreline. Just about the time I was getting close to landing, the engine roared back to life and I climbed out.

Did get any shots because I was too busy flying the plane.

Started to get back on course, flying fine then it started again. So, I was able to get to Potomac (W35) in Berkeley Springs, WV.

fsscr008.jpg

fsscr009.jpg

fsscr010.jpg

fsscr011.jpg

A safe landing

fsscr013.jpg

See PART 2

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PART 2

So I borrowed another plane! :cool:

fsscr015.jpg

fsscr016.jpg

fsscr017.jpg

fsscr018.jpg

fsscr019.jpg

Approach and landing in Roanoke. Landed runway 24, winds 290 Gusting to 28. Not fun!

fsscr020.jpg

fsscr021.jpg

fsscr022.jpg

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great you made it safe with your broken down little Cessna :eek::eek: Not a bad plane you borrowed btw. :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks! When I saw that lake on the way down the thought crossed my my mind “What would the Perrhoven Advanced Training School think of my lake landing?” :D

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I too, like you loaner plane. What a step up from the Cessna! :rolleyes:

Rick :cool:

Thanks Rick! Nice plane to find in the middle of nowhere West Virginia :D

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A good winter flight with fine pics. of the aircraft and scenery. Looks like you got lucky and just missed that fence on the first approach. You were wise to choose a twin engine for the remainder of the flight. Berkley Springs is a nice place in the summer. I've been there several times. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Larry

A good winter flight with fine pics. of the aircraft and scenery. Looks like you got lucky and just missed that fence on the first approach. You were wise to choose a twin engine for the remainder of the flight. Berkley Springs is a nice place in the summer. I've been there several times. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks! I’ve been to a few places in WV but not Berkeley Springs. Some interesting country.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Might have been a question of carb heating!

That was my initial thought. Conditions were right for carb icing but this download does not have a carb heat control :confused:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That was my initial thought. Conditions were right for carb icing but this download does not have a carb heat control :confused:

I would check you didn't d/l something with FI by mistake... And carb heat may be activated on a non-carb-equipped aircraft. If that is a Cessna 411 it should have twin TSIO-520's as standard. If a Cessna 414a then it should have twin TSIO-520 turbocharged pistons with FI...

I just checked, Carb heat is the “H” key. Duh

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would check you didn't d/l something with FI by mistake... And carb heat may be activated on a non-carb-equipped aircraft. If that is a Cessna 411 it should have twin TSIO-520's as standard. If a Cessna 414a then it should have twin TSIO-520 turbocharged pistons with FI...

It was the Single engine Cessna with the issue. Not sure what “FI” is. The twin had no problems.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

David - I think "FI" they are referring to is Fuel Injection, no carb heat involved.

That would make sense. It does have a fuel pump switch.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

David - Just a thought, cowl flaps? Could you fly the flight again, making sure the cowl flaps are closed? I guess anything could be possible? I don't know anything about flying in cold air temps, especially as it applies to flight simulators?

Let me know, you got me thinking now, and that only comes once-in-awhile!:rolleyes:

Rick

David - Just a thought, cowl flaps? Could you fly the flight again, making sure the cowl flaps are closed? I guess anything could be possible? I don't know anything about flying in cold air temps, especially as it applies to flight simulators?

Let me know, you got me thinking now, and that only comes once-in-awhile!:rolleyes:

Rick

I know this model did not have cowl flaps. I’ll take a closer look. I’ll need to find the right conditions again. I’ll let you know

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice shots of your flight David. To bad about the engine trouble, hope you get if fixed.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it. Life went off the rails lately! :rolleyes:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]