Thread: Rtw

Default Rtw

Once upon a time we had fun with the rtw every year, it doesn't even look like there's going to be one this time around.
    Spent way too much time using these sims...
    FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4

RTW = round the world ?

In German = Rettungswagen (Ambulance) perhaps afternoon drinking too much at NewYear

Sent with my iPhone
    happy landings! Christian
    Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB
    MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;
    WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Yes

I believe you're correct.
    While "they" may or may not actually have a Race this year, and I doubt they actually will have a Race this year, FlightSim hasn't posted enough pilots to make up a "team" for the last few years.
    A couple years ago, they held an abbreviated form of the race. FlightSim was only able to get 2 pilots to participate. I was one, and Frank was the other.
    Two pilots is NOT enough to make even an effort at participating. In fact, the next year, Frank and I went over SimOuthouse. At least we got to participate in the Race. When there were three teams, it was a real enjoyable experience. When there were only two, it wasn't all that bad, really. SimOuthouse won, BTW.
    But the race organizers simply don't feel there is enough participation to bother with all the ins and outs of putting on a Race. I agree with them, too. Additionally, the rules and complexities involved have gotten simply too gross and unwieldy to even bother, even with more participation.

So, that's where things stand, at the moment. Sorry, but there it is.
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

A number of the people who flew it when I started out dropped off because it got to be too complex and too competitive, taking a lot of the fun out of it. I also began to feel the same way.

I still "fly" offline on my own all the time, I guess it's just one of those memories now.

The last I heard the powers that be said that last year's race would be the last RTW. The two remaining members of the executive committee threw in the towel when participation basically dried up to the point where they barely were able to field two teams for even a shortened continental style of race. Eammon was trying to keep the flame alive but I don't even see anyone talking about online flight events at all, let alone something on as grand a scale as the RTW. And you're right, the rules became too complex, or complexly written, and no one wanted to deal with the miles of bureaucracy that flying the race had become. Sad to see such an event fall by the wayside, but that's what happens when complexity and time constraints clash together and sucks all the fun out of it.

I've had thoughts of things that could be done as online events, but even they became such a chore to co-ordinate, with all different software and sim versions.

We had lots of fun over the years. Maybe when the new MSFS comes out, we'll be able to put something small together again.

8. Default

I've actually never really heard of this race thing until like last year or thereabouts. It sounded interesting, but as already noted, the rules sounded kinda dumb.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Hiya all. When I started the RTW Challenge on FlightSim.com and then Avsim with a simple set of rules followed by a suggestion that we had an "Oxford vs Cambridge boat race" event to see who could get around the world first. Now here's the challenge to all of you, go and find that first post RTW Challenge and lets see a new team of referees bring this back.... its simple.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...=RTW+Challenge

Just drop the complexity... you have my blessing to do so. And I'd love to see it come back bigger and better than ever.

Good luck and see you in the skies.

Tornado Wilkes
    Last edited by TornadoWilkes; 03-29-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    PPL(A)
    PPL(H)
    IMC