Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Optimal Memory

1. Default

I think the Beta mode may be the issue.. I have two different machines. One that has Win 7 32-Bit and just plain FSX (None SE). Older machine and it runs fine with no issues. I wanted more horsepower so I bought Win 7 64-Bit, a new motherboard (ASUS) an SSD, an AMD 4Ghz procesor, a Radeon 4GB Video card and 12GB Ram. So it is hardly outdated. Plus I just got a notification the FSX-SE will no longer run on Win 10. I removed the Beta mode on FSX-SE but still got the error.

I am thinking about uninstalling FSX-SE and going back to plain old FSX. Kinda hate to as I have a lot of aircraft and scenery.. According to what I have seen on Youtube FSX-SE deals with VAS better than FSX. What do you think I should do? Go back to FSX? Is there a notable difference?

Quote Originally Posted by PDNoel View Post
    Plus I just got a notification the FSX-SE will no longer run on Win 10. I removed the Beta mode on FSX-SE but still got the error.
    Where did you get the notification from? I'm running FSX-SE beta and non-beta without any problems on my Win10 laptop.

3. Default

From a Steam Community Notification
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/31416...3649674775481/

Quote Originally Posted by PDNoel View Post
    From a Steam Community Notification
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/31416...3649674775481/
    That's a user's thread from 2017, not an official notification - FSX:SE will run fine on Windows 10.
    To check your FSX:SE installation, see this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/31416...8469755277021/
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

5. Default

I went back to FSX (None Steam). FSUIPC installed and now works correctly. Thanks for all the info and advise.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    Really?
    Well, FS doesn’t start at all on his Win 10 but we’ll kinda bypass this information. 😂
    Win 7 will always be the best OS to use for FS.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    Win 7 will always be the best OS to use for FS.
    Ah, I'd hazard a guess and say XP which was out when both FS2004 and FSX were made. But I'm not going XP just for a Sim. Since 7 works for me that's all I care about. Though not flawless. Like the white space trick crap with adding scenery to the addons folder or having to run in compatible mode. Then for me, once I launch FSX, explorer goes into classic color mode until I exit the Sim. Not a big deal, but it seems quite apparent that XP would be the OS of choice to run FS2004 or FSX.

Now granted when the new Sim comes out I'll be running 10. That's if I like the new Sim and see all the reviews. Plus I'm going to strip the hell out of the 10 ISO, run Pfsense and monitor my network with a plunder bug. LOL

I actually don't have to click in a white space for adding scenery to the addons folder. I use a program now called Scenery Config Editor and just add and activate in there.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 01-21-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

8. Default

Ah, I'd hazard a guess and say XP which was out when both FS2004 and FSX were made. But I'm not going XP just for a Sim. Since 7 works for me that's all I care about. Though not flawless. Like the white space trick crap with adding scenery to the addons folder or having to run in compatible mode. Then for me, once I launch FSX, explorer goes into classic color mode until I exit the Sim. Not a big deal, but it seems quite apparent that XP would be the OS of choice to run FS2004 or FSX.

Now granted when the new Sim comes out I'll be running 10. That's if I like the new Sim and see all the reviews. Plus I'm going to strip the hell out of the 10 ISO, run Pfsense and monitor my network with a plunder bug. LOL

I actually don't have to click in a white space for adding scenery to the addons folder. I use a program now called Scenery Config Editor and just add and activate in there.
    I wouldn't agree with XP being best. Despite FS being an XP program, a Win 7 system gives you the most flexible offering overall for running FS. Almost everything works with it. Newer add-ons don't have XP support so may not run at all. Then there are the hardware limitations of XP and software limitations. Win 7 is ideal for running FS today. You shouldn't have to run FS in compatibility modes for Win 7 or Win 10.

Scenery Config Editor fixes all the white space issues and even if the built-in scenery manager worked perfectly, SCE kills it for flexibility and ease of use.

I am running Win 10 now. Forced too by a new system as Win 7 won't work and I've already found a couple of issues after running only the one aircraft. May or may not be possible to resolve and find a workaround. Haven't had time to really fiddle around.

The new MSFS, yeah, you might want to wait till after release. I think 3 years from now would be the earliest I could see myself switching. I'm also probably the one who has least faith in the new sim so atm I don't see myself leaving FS9 until I have a 6GHz CPU for FSX. I'll be happy to be surprised on MSFS and eat my words but I'm expecting to be more along the lines of, "I told you so!"
    Mark Daniels

9. Default

You more than likely won't need a 6 GHz CPU as the new Sim will take advantage of multi thread capability unlike its predecessors.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

10. Default

You more than likely won't need a 6 GHz CPU as the new Sim will take advantage of multi thread capability unlike its predecessors.
    I meant I want 6Ghz before I switch to FSX from FS9!
    The new MSFS will likely require a cheaper CPU than FSX for the reasons you mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast