Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Approach speed control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Approach speed control

Hi Guys,

The approach speeds of some of my aircraft are extremely difficult to control, even with full flaps, gear down and engine(s) at idle. I've tried to increase the drag entry figure in the flaps sections of their aircraft.cfg files but this only seems to partially help, if at all. Maybe this only works in combination with something else, hopefully not with something within their AIR files because I'm certainly no AIR file expert.

Any ideas or fixes anyone ?

Thanks in advance for any reactions.

Regards

Hans

How about intermittent speed brake/spoiler deployment, say for 5-10 seconds each time?
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Mr Zippy,

Thanks for your reaction but most of the aircraft I was referring to do not have speed brakes. Take as an example the default Mooney, which seems to be so streamlined that only extremely flat and unrealistic approaches are possible. My feeling is therefore that this kind of rather basic problem just must have been addressed/solved somewhere, either in their aircraft.cfg and/or in their AIR files.

Anyone, please.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    Mr Zippy,

Thanks for your reaction but most of the aircraft I was referring to do not have speed brakes. Take as an example the default Mooney, which seems to be so streamlined that only extremely flat and unrealistic approaches are possible. My feeling is therefore that this kind of rather basic problem just must have been addressed/solved somewhere, either in their aircraft.cfg and/or in their AIR files.

Anyone, please.

Hans
    Interesting that you mentioned the default Mooney. In my Sim, the default Mooney has spoilers.

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Interesting that you mentioned the default Mooney. In my Sim, the default Mooney has spoilers.
    Upon first reading, I said "huh?" Spoilers on a Mooney? I wondered what Charlie might be smoking these days? After looking at my default Mooney, sure enough they have Speed brakes which at first I thought might be a little hokey with whoever did the default design work on the Mooney Bravo. I did a Google search on Mooney Bravo speed brake and sure enough they do have them in RW aircraft. Here is a video I found on it:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...b&action=click

Sorry, Charlie, I truly thought you finally "lost it!"

Learn something every day!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post

Sorry, Charlie, I truly thought you finally "lost it!"

Learn something every day!

Rick
    Only things lost, so far, are hair follicles!
    Last edited by mrzippy; 01-26-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    The approach speeds of some of my aircraft are extremely difficult to control, even with full flaps, gear down and engine(s) at idle.
    What's the maximum rate of descent you can achieve with full flaps and gear down at e.g. 100kts?

For drag verification; Engine out glide speed is 92kts and the ROD should be ~800fpm

8. Default

It's not hard at all to get your aircraft to an approach speed. I have a felling you're not doing it far enough away from the airport before approach.

Look on your GPS. When you are about 15 miles from the airport slow down even further to the aircraft's approach speed based on weight. Prior to 15 miles of the airport you should have stepped down your speed in increments. So say at 50 miles out you'd be at one speed, then at 30 miles out you'd be at another speed, then at 15 miles set the approach speed. Once you get used to this you can set your approach speed at 10 miles out.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    So say at 50 miles out you'd be at one speed, then at 30 miles out you'd be at another speed, then at 15 miles set the approach speed. Once you get used to this you can set your approach speed at 10 miles out.
    The question is, how high is he at e.g. 50NM? At 2000ft at level flight, slowing down isn't a problem. If he's at FL200 50NM out, it will be difficult to slow down during the descent.

Nevertheless I wouldn't even think about slowing down 30-50NM out. Even with a heavy jet I can easily keep 250kts until 10-15NM out.

10. Default

The idea is to help him slow down way out there until approach.

For me I fly around with the F-22 at FL500 at mach 2.35 all the time so I just know what altitudes and distance from airport I need to be at for stepping my speed down.

Something as simple as a Cessna Shouldn't be an issue at all.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast