What's the best way to map rudder control to a Logitech yoke in FSX?

sigmapaul

Hello all:

I have a Logi Pro Yoke and throttle quadrant but currently do not have rudder pedels. I mapped the Rudder (Yaw Left) and Rudder (Yaw Right) to rocker buttons 7 and 8 on the yoke. I left the Repeat slider at zero. When flying the Cessna C172, if I press one of the buttons to apply yaw for a coordinated turn, the aircraft goes out of control and it take a while to get back to level flight. Also, it seems that when mapping the rudder to rocker buttons, the rudder doesn't return to the centerpoint as it would if using the twist rudder on a joystick.

Any suggestions as to how best to use the rudder without pedals. Also, the Repeat slider for the button assignment in the controls panel of FSX - does moving the slider to the right make the control continuous rather than having to do mutile clicks on the button? Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Applying full rudder will likely throw the aircraft into a tizzy, but you can try adjusting the slider associated with that button for the amount of repeat you want, then you can do as with the keyboard and add a little at a time. Then you can either do as Zippy said and use the '5' or you could assign another button to center it.

However, if you have one available, assigning to an axis would work much better.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I was wondering how this can be done too....I wonder if the full FSUIPC version can do something about this by allowing the joy stick movement to also act as the rudder control.

Num 5 on the keypad can be used to center all controls. I personally use the asterisk (*) and the 0 (zero) number on my keypad for rudder controls; it can get a bit tedious at times using the rudder like this, but it works.

I was wondering how this can be done too....I wonder if the full FSUIPC version can do something about this by allowing the joy stick movement to also act as the rudder control.

That sounds a lot like autorudder, which you can just click on in the Realism menu.

Coordinated flight in FSX is hard enough even with rudder pedals. With keystrokes I'd suggest it's virtually impossible to get any semblance of real control, other than for gross movements needed to steer on the ground in a crosswind.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

That sounds a lot like autorudder, which you can just click on in the Realism menu.

Coordinated flight in FSX is hard enough even with rudder pedals. With keystrokes I'd suggest it's virtually impossible to get any semblance of real control, other than for gross movements needed to steer on the ground in a crosswind.

I have auto-rudder turned on. What I was referring to was simultaneously using the joystick control (yaw banking to the left or right) to also act as the rudder control by assigning a key pad that could switch between the controls. I hope that makes sense...

I have auto-rudder turned on. What I was referring to was simultaneously using the joystick control (yaw banking to the left or right) to also act as the rudder control by assigning a key pad that could switch between the controls. I hope that makes sense...

There is a (very complicated) way to switch axes dynamically with FSUIPC, but I can't see how it would make any sense as a usable control system in this case. You typically need to use rudder and ailerons simultaneously and in a continuously variable manner to balance your turns.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I agree with Mark. Either/or doesn't make any sense, since you have to use them together, and not in a linear fashion either -- sometimes you even have to use them in opposite directions (crosswind landing, for example). Autorudder is about as good as you can do without separate pedal control for normal inflight use.

On the ground, of course, aileron works the rudder/nosewheel steering just fine with autorudder on.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Here it is. I recall trying this but never getting it to work, but presumably it's possible. I think I was after a good way to do reverse thrust on a single lever.

Thank you for taking the time to reply about this.

My silly self realize that it truly wouldn't make any sense since I would be having to control the pitch/bank and the rudder at the same time and not individually.

Thanks for the help anyway!