Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Cockpits?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Virtual Cockpits?

Hi guys,

Does anybody know if the FS2020 will come with Virtual Cockpits? I fly FSX with trackIR 5 and can't imagine flying it any other way!!

Oscar

2. Default

I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by bam1220 View Post
    I hope not.
    I hope so. Like Oscar, I use TrackIR. It boosts realism a LOT. Even without TrackIR, I never cared much for the so-called 2D "cockpits" -- really just a picture of a panel.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

4. Default

Yes I think it's a given. 2D only would be a giant step backwards.

VC's look super cheesy. Usually very cartoon looking...re fake. As mentioned, a good 2D is usually photo realistic and the flat 2D panel resembles, you guessed it, a flat real panel. Shocking thought, I know.

Unfortunately the whole VR thing - very unrealistic - has taken over and the world of tacky VC's has replaced all those beautiful 2D panels of yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post
    VC's look super cheesy. Usually very cartoon looking...re fake. As mentioned, a good 2D is usually photo realistic and the flat 2D panel resembles, you guessed it, a flat real panel.
    ...the world of tacky VC's has replaced all those beautiful 2D panels of yesteryear.
    I'm not sure if these are tongue in cheek comments, but I think so since there are simply no flat panels IRL and you usually don't sit at a 90deg angle in front of the panel, except the Ryan NYP.

It's absolutely beyond me how someone can call a VC cheesy and cartoonish. Contrary to 2D panels I've seen a lot of VCs which can't be distinguished from real cockpits.

2D panels maybe (still) ok for IFR only trainers without any scenery, but for any other simulation they are real immersion killers. Can't imagine landing any aircraft in an acceptable realistic way with a 2D panel.

I'm quite sure that not a single real pilot will agree with your opinion about the stone age 2D panels in a sim.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pzl 104 View Post

I'm quite sure that not a single real pilot will agree with your opinion about the stone age 2D panels in a sim.
    I only know one real world A320 captain and he uses FS9 and 2D panels for the same reasons I do.
    Mark Daniels

Blog Entries

I can only fly WITH a VC now.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    I only know one real world A320 captain and he uses FS9 and 2D panels for the same reasons I do.
    Which reasons? You didn't post a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    I hope so. Like Oscar, I use TrackIR. It boosts realism a LOT. Even without TrackIR, I never cared much for the so-called 2D "cockpits" -- really just a picture of a panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by pzl 104 View Post
    I'm not sure if these are tongue in cheek comments, but I think so since there are simply no flat panels IRL and you usually don't sit at a 90deg angle in front of the panel, except the Ryan NYP.

It's absolutely beyond me how someone can call a VC cheesy and cartoonish. Contrary to 2D panels I've seen a lot of VCs which can't be distinguished from real cockpits.

2D panels maybe (still) ok for IFR only trainers without any scenery, but for any other simulation they are real immersion killers. Can't imagine landing any aircraft in an acceptable realistic way with a 2D panel.

No flat panels in the real world? Huh? Unless they curved...? Seemed pretty flat when I flew in the little Warrior 2 back in the day. ** headscratch.

ALL VC’s are cartoon like. Haven’t seen a good one yet. The milviz 350 a good emample. The VC like many others - looks like it’s made of play dough.
    Just the result of the different format / model thingy for displaying I guess . 2D have much better ability match the real thing visually using photos. edetroits panels being a good example. Just a shame he hates the flightsim world enough to not share them. Sad person.

But remember we are using it on a flat screen. VC Doesn’t translate well unless we had a real hardware instrument panel in front of us sitting inside a virtual bubble screens or visuals. Bubble boy.

The whole planning thingy and ridiculous head movement of VR seems over the top. Hard to say what it’s actually trying to replicate. The head of eyes? Seems to hurt watching it.

I easily find flying in 2D is much more enjoyable and realistic. The 2D snap views take care of any view changes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast