Best way to learn FSX

sigmapaul

Hi All and a very happry New Year. I am just getting back into flight simulators after a 30+ year absense. I am starting off with FSX and wonder if you have any thoughts about the best way to learn the sim. I just picked up a Saitek yoke and am thinking of getting the pedals. I'm looking forward to spending time on this forum. Many thanks. :)

some ideas to share:

*Talk with us here: ask questions; tell us of your earlier fs activities

*Take your time getting under way: keep it fun and a hobby, not a job!

*when I joined this site, I came to the forum and read about six month's worth of previous posts (I don't find reading a chore) just to see what people were experiencing.

*Go to the 'sticky' at the top of this forum page and see how others enjoy the sim

*Join a multiplayer group; 'my' group of senior gents flies casual flights on Mon and Tue at 1900Z. (Israel, Germany, UK, and US). You can drop me a private message if you wish to discuss it.

*Take the 'flight training': I managed to complete the FS2000 or FS2002 version and get my 'pilot's certificate'.

Loyd

ps I did get a 1 hr introductory flight lesson as a gift from my son a few years back and found the C180 looked almost exactly like the sim's default 172. Turns out my instructor even flew FS9 occasionally. after 20 years of simming, the real flight was a 'piece of cake'.

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

There is additional information if you look below at the Real Aviation Tutorials & FAQs section of the forum. There's information on traffic patterns, in flight exercises to improve your control, maneuvering, navigation, takeoff and landings, basic aircraft control, and more. That is not INSTEAD of the lessons and such suggested above, but IN ADDITION TO those.

There's a wealth of information around, including asking questions here on the forums.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!