Northern Lights

Ray Hff

I haven't either but in FS2004 I did. You'd see them at the most northern or southern latitudes. Like around Greenland, Iceland, Alaska, the southern tip of south America or Antarctica.

Shooting stars are just as rare in FSX. I've been around the world about 6 times and only saw shooting stars maybe twice. Once was near Aruba.

I have a project in mind to add shooting stars and northern lights to the Sim, but I'm still trying to figure out how'd I use the right placement coordinates and massage all the data in Notepad ++.

In FS2004 I had loads of shooting stars over Area-51 so when you came in for a landing it really looked like "dreamland."

There's an FSX Northern Lights Mission at Simviation: https://simviation.com/1/browse-Missions-59-15?mark=28534

It's the 4th item down the page, and the screenshot shows the FSX Aurora effect in action. It's a kind of large cirrus cloud which rotates above you, changing colour as it turns. The mission simply activates the built-in FSX Aurora effect at the same location every time you fly the mission.

"Mission to see the Northern Lights - Aurora

For several years I've tried unsuccessfully to locate a place & time in FSX that displays the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis. Yet the effects do exist in FSX. The mission I've uploaded is a simple one with no downloads required & uses the Cessna 172 Skyhawk. Except for having to gain some initial altitude, you should not have any trouble completing this mission.

Posted Sep 7, 2016 10:03 by Donald Olsson"

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Aurora... a thin, cirrus-like green glowing 'cloud' layer; big disappointment first seen on a 'diplomatic' AI flight from BNA to Moscow somewhere up in the Greenland/Iceland area overnight; perhaps on a winter evening. I'd say you haven't missed much....

Shooting Star: as best I recall from an age ago when I tried modifying the shooting star into a Photon Torpedo: looking at the fx code, the shooting star is a effect that is referenced to the aircraft (or tower); occurs rarely; is displayed 500m above the aircraft; is limited to only spot and tower view; has a random duration of 1 to 3 seconds; moves in a randomized speed and direction. I've seen them several times but I rarely fly at night any more though I usually ONLY fly the locked spot view... it helps to be in a dark location and zoomed out a bit. It happens quickly so you have a better chance if you're attentive and 'usually lucky' - or do videos.

I don't think most of the effects codes have changed since FS2000 or thereabouts...

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners