Thunderbird 3 Flight and Model Issues

Hi there everyone,

I am working on a Thunderbird 3 model, for FSX. However, I have encountered some mind boggling problems. I have successfully imported a Thunderbird 3 model from my computer/PC. And it successfully appears in FSX, however, without an .air file, or appropiate aircraft.cfg file, the process has been very difficult to say the least. Thunderbird 3, always wants to fly vertically, as in it moves everywhere vertically/upright, as if it was a skyscraper, it moves along the ground as shown in the pictures?

Screenshot1.jpg

I want Thunderbird 3, to act like the the other 2 Thunderbirds, that were created for FSX, that were released by an author, and freely available on both Flightsim.com and avsimulation. It seems that it doesn't generate enough thrust to keep it in the air, and when I goes horizontal it stalls and free falls back to earth, and the ground/ocean. Also, it is very hard to turn the aircraft, or make it fly horizonatal while spinning round, similar to the one in the 2004 movie.

Also, when I do try to fly horizontally, Thunderbird 3 stalls and crash lands either on land or into the ocean. How can I make Thunderbird 3, act like the one in the Thunderbirds 2004 Movie, as seen in the photos below? (All rights are owned by their respective companies, producers and Supermarination)

Thunderbird_3_2004_version.jpg

Thunderbird_3_2004_version2.jpg

Any help or advice of anyone, would be greatly appreciated? Let me know what you think, and if you would be able to even help me with the creation of an aircraft .cfg file, and .air file if you also wish to do so (Completely optional).

Screenshot2.jpg

Edited by edwardstpowell

You are probably better served by asking this question in the aircraft design forum. At a guess i would say an air and cfg file from a vertcal take off aircraft like the Harrier is a good starting point.

Good luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

He doesn't have a model problem, he has a flight dynamics problem, so it's ok to post here. I could help. I had the Pogo working good a few years ago. It was turbo prop (max 460 kts). Your model would have to have flaps and spoiler in order for me to make it VTOL. I just downloaded Thunderbird 1 (circa 2011) to see how it behaves. Will work on it tonight. Then make a video so you can see what I did/did not/could not do (hehe). I love working on these type 'sim objects'. But sometimes there are limitations.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Well the Thunderbird 1 (circa 2001 not 2011-hehe) did ok on it's trial run. I changed the cnt pts a bit and it lands good. The skids produce SMOKE (?) which is not right but that can be fixed. I got it to go fast but it could go faster. The flaps need work (only 2: 0 and 80 so needs 0, 20, 40, then 80 for smooth approach and handling).

I guess we can go do this via EMail if you like. I will PM you my email. I also want to know if you want it to land on it's tail, and if so, what do you use to make the MODEL tip to vertical? Flaps is what is usually used. Otherwise it will take a lot work, using Shuttle FDEs (?), to hand fly/land. RCB Gauges is what is usually used for best results with tail landing. Although it can be done without RCB Gauges if the model tilts with flaps like the POGO. Right now it VTOLS at 0 kts but on the skids, not the tail. More later.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I got it to land on it's tail (made video-posting later tonight) but since the model does not have 'cnt pts' there, it just flipped over onto the skids but did not crash. If you add 4 WHEELS (not skids) to the model's tail I imagine you COULD land it on it's tail. Even on water (there is NO water on Mars - hehe). Fun project for me. CUL8R.

Chuck B

Napamule

I'm BAAAACK! Here is a short video showing it flying level then droping on it's tail (hand fly). It is easier to fly then the Harrier! YouTube Link:

. To me it's amazing that it can do this. It's due to the modified dynamics (orig for the B-1B) but not sure who owns the FDEs. Nice find for me. To much fun already!

Chuck B

Napamule

Ok Buddy. If you don't check in and report what you want/need by tomorrow sometime I will drop you like a lead ballon. I got the TB1 working good. Does Mach 4.400. Lands 0 kts. Can you ignore that? I hope not. I intend to have fun doing this IF you are interested. If not then I will bow out. Have a nice day.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hey Robin,

Well the Thunderbird 1 works in FS2004. Don't know if the original FDEs will work but the FSX FDEs that I am using work good in both Sims. FS2004 only requires that you increase the MOI's or it will shake. Other than that it works good. The file name is 'thunderbird1.zip', 6025 kb, circa 2001. CUL8R.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi there everyone,

Sorry I only have just saw your messages just now. I've been on holiday/on vacation. I have seen your feedback and efforts, I am very imressed. I have sent you an private message, or at least tried to, I am not sure if you have recived it though. I have gave you my email address so we can both work on TB3 as you suggest.