Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MSFS2020 Release Date

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    If you want to get access to the Insider site you will need to join the Xbox Insider program. This is similar to the Windows and Office Insider programs, among others, that Microsoft runs for pre-release access to software. Also, Microsoft has moved all of their gaming related products and services, which includes sims, for both Xbox consoles and PC, under the Xbox brand. Thus the need for the Xbox Insider program. There is no need to sign up for any subscription for this either.
    Ok I see what you're saying about "the Insider" program. My next question is what do they want to know about me and who will they share it with?

I know I'm old! But I know way too many people personally whose "private" information has exposed them to hoaxes.

And I know one woman who suffered serious ID Theft and had to reapply for credit cards, voting, etc. It took years to get her credit ratings and retirement benefits straightened out!! So I'm loathe to put a lot out there especially if it involves tracking my touches and the info I access.
    Last edited by Rupert; 01-09-2020 at 12:56 PM.

2. Default

Geez Rupert, if you're that freaked out about the risks of joining then don't join, no one's twisting your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by jmguyer View Post
    Geez Rupert, if you're that freaked out about the risks of joining then don't join, no one's twisting your arm.
    Good point, that's why I don't! But I have to wonder why so many others do? Lemming attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by jmguyer View Post
    I fully understand his attitude, and I share it, to a large degree. I've been in computers, one way or another, for 40+ years, including a stint working with some folks at Bell Labs where I discovered how certain folks can easily bypass most "safeguards." I also learned how inadvertent bugs can be a bear to find, along with a few other things.

The main point being that perhaps I know too much, causing me to be extremely skeptical about the safety of computers. Add to that the (relatively recent) growing spate of "hacked" systems, the proliferation of malware AND the way more and more otherwise reputable businesses are gathering information they're not entitled to, then SELLING it, often to bad actors, or otherwise misusing it, and you eventually develop a very pessimistic outlook on such things.

Certainly he doesn't HAVE to join, but as I often do, he's researching what he'd get into if he DID join.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Ok I see what you're saying about "the Insider" program. My next question is what do they want to know about me and who will they share it with?

I know I'm old! But I know way too many people personally whose "private" information has exposed them to hoaxes.

And I know one woman who suffered serious ID Theft and had to reapply for credit cards, voting, etc. It took years to get her credit ratings and retirement benefits straightened out!! So I'm loathe to put a lot out there especially if it involves tracking my touches and the info I access.
    Being cautious is always good practice. There is nothing stopping you from creating an account with a fake name that you could use for this. I know one person who signs up as Mark Twain or other historical people when they don't want to give anything away. You also don't need to provide much personal info either. And there are options for two factor authentication to help keep others out as well.

Most severe ID theft involves far more than just getting access to someone's Microsoft account. Far too often the hacked accounts you hear about in the news were ones where the same password was used on multiple accounts, or the password was something simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    They only ask the minimum needed to register your "Gamertag" (that is the alias you choose to be known by). No personal information aside from your name and email addressed are asked for.

My "Gamertag" is N4GIX, which says nothing that can identify my real name to anyone...

...besides another amateur radio operator who knows how to look me up that is!
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    They only ask the minimum needed to register your "Gamertag" (that is the alias you choose to be known by). No personal information aside from your name and email addressed are asked for.

My "Gamertag" is N4GIX, which says nothing that can identify my real name to anyone...

I'm glad you added that last one, Bill.

de N8GGG

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post

Uh, Bill....You'd be surprised how easy you are to look up!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Indeed it is. We can't hide from anyone.......Doug
    Intel 4790K @ 4.7Ghz, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Yep, I was thinking the same thzing LOL

73 Steve G7RTA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast