How Much/Business Model?

Apologies if this already discussed but while, like just about everyone else, I'm blown away by the graphics and potential but as a result of something I read elsewhere have an alarm bell ringing about what this might cost.

I certainly have no issue paying £50 - £60 for the program up front (along with £800 for a new PC in all likelihood) but what if MS decide to make it pay to play? i.e. All these nice shiny streamed graphics will require a monthly (or annual) subscription to access the service, in the same way that many business applications charge their customers. I'm certainly not up for paying (ballpark figures) $10 - $15 a month as an ongoing basis to keep playing. That could get real expensive real fast.

Or will there be differing levels of detail - e.g. a standalone version which broadly offers what FSX does now; some detailed areas and the rest procedurally generated. And TBH, with my primary interest being flying the big iron, how the ground looks at 30,000 feet from the cockpit of my DC10 won't be the primary concern.

Vern.

Microsoft has said it will be available for standalone purchase as well as through their Xbox Game Pass subscription (basically Netflix for games). Beyond that they haven't released any more details, though they have hinted at no subscription being required.

People are expecting this sim to be pay once, fly away, no more to pay be it add-ons or anything else as MSFS will have it all and offer it all.

Watch this space imo.

That is a bit of an exaggeration. I think most people are fully expecting that add-ons will have a cost. When it comes to scenery, however, the included scenery may well be enough for many people. There will likely be little need for Orbx's regions and global products, and similar ones from other developers, for example.

That is a bit of an exaggeration. I think most people are fully expecting that add-ons will have a cost. When it comes to scenery, however, the included scenery may well be enough for many people. There will likely be little need for Orbx's regions and global products, and similar ones from other developers, for example.

I think you will find you will be paying for everything just like you did in past sims and more. Ground scenery, we really need to see the "entire world" and "up close" and then understand what options will be there for add-on developers to enhance poorer areas. We are only seeing select areas from select distances till now with select aircraft. Don't rule out ground scenery like Orbx just yet.

Mark Daniels

I paid $69.99 for FSX Deluxe in 2006. Don't recall what the Acceleration add on cost. $69.99 in 2020 inflation cost is $89.30

Prepar3D sells for $199.99, will Microsoft price FS2020 the same?

I think there will be a stand alone version (How distributed? Download? Retail DVD? Retail USB?) that will permit fully off-line use, however to use the on-line services will most likely be subscription.

Microsoft launches Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with PC and Xbox games for $14.99 per month

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/9/18658682/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-pc-games-xbox-live-pricing-features-e3-2019

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I think you will find you will be paying for everything just like you did in past sims and more. Ground scenery, we really need to see the "entire world" and "up close" and then understand what options will be there for add-on developers to enhance poorer areas. We are only seeing select areas from select distances till now with select aircraft. Don't rule out ground scenery like Orbx just yet.

I'm not ruling it out and do expect add-ons for airports, cities etc. that aren't covered by photogrammetry to exist. It's the larger scenery texture, mesh and land class ones that I don't think we will see as much of. Again, most people are still expecting pay for add-ons.

Again, most people are still expecting pay for add-ons.

Yes, but I think they are not expecting to the degree they will need to pay. It's a real money making market these days and certainly a company like Microsoft won't be looking to provide any charity. Subscription and official DLC's are the norm. Developers are closing games to modding. I will be fascinated to see what can really be produced to a decent level for MSFS by freeware developers in particular.

Mark Daniels

Yes we have seen how DTG have failed as yet to provide any wider third party user tools for their new Train Sim World, not even a timetable or scenario editor. It is obviously possible to produce content because they are periodically releasing new routes and/or rolling stock, but though they keep saying they are working on the tools, several years in now they have not materialised.

I have no problem paying for DLC (with a price vs. quality vs. need basis for each title) but will the likes of Just Flight and their developers have access to the SDK and the licence which will allow them to develop and release their typical mid-price range of add-ons? We shall see!

Vern.

I have no problem paying for DLC (with a price vs. quality vs. need basis for each title) but will the likes of Just Flight and their developers have access to the SDK and the licence which will allow them to develop and release their typical mid-price range of add-ons? We shall see!

The flight sim community has essentially been using the DLC model since we'll before the term was coined.

An SDK has already been confirmed and Asobo is working with many of the current flight sim add-ons developers.

Prepar3D sells for $199.99, will Microsoft price FS2020 the same

I think the new flight sim is going to be released like P3d, like academy, profesional,profesional plus...

P3D has always been a commercial product aimed at commercial and professional markets, not home entertainment. A far better indicator would be the current prices of PC games, which would be in the $60-$80 range (depending on country) for the standalone purchase option. Or you can go the Xbox Gamepass route and get the sim along with plenty of other games for $5/month (current intro price, could go up $10/month like the console side).