Help desperately needed please.

Oldynewby

Hi all,

Sorry if this question's 10 years out of date, that's just the way I roll!

I've been having problems with flight sim for years. First not having a high enough spec computer, through various stages of hardware and software incompatibility to where I am today.

Over the 25 years or so that I've had a flight sim in my life I've been entirely unsuccessful at acheiving my one simple aim of having a stable system where all of the peripherals interact correctly and all the software performs as it should, hence the delay as I've spent long periods ignoring it.

I upgraded my computer to a higher spec, running Windows 10, about 2 years ago and after lots of problems went back to my old XP machine which wasn't issue free but was relatively stable. Unfortunately last week my XP machine died so I've gone back to Windows 10.

After several attempts I've managed to get FS9 up and running (but not FSX) but now I find that all of my aircraft, being FS9/XP compatible, won't load under Windows 10. I can't afford to replace all of them so my question is is there a workaround to get XP based software loaded in W10? Failing that, can I move my XP hard drive into my new machine and boot into XP using the i3 processor? The aircraft I want to load are mainly by JustFlight.

Please can anyone help?

TIA

Paul

Edited by DominicS
Language..

Hi Paul,

Sorry for a wordy reply, but your issues are complicated to resolve, "that's the way I roll" ha ha!

WinXP being a 32bit OS is not ideal for FSX given the OS & RAM sharing limitations with 32bit FSX VAS limitations, an i3 Processor won't help either. Perhaps FS9 will run OK but a quality FSX setup requires beefier hardware specifications.

May I ask what were the problems getting FSX to run on your Win10 machine, with supposedly better specification. Was it FSX boxed SP1 SP2 or Acceleration, Did you have issues with activation for FSX or AccPack.

or

was it FSX Steam Edition.

Some FS9 Aircraft will work quite well in FSX if the porting has been done effectively, most common issues revolve around textures and incompatible gauges where PreviewDX10 is used, but can work quite well under DX9 default mode. JustFlight installers present a small solvable issue for Win7&8 users and a large unresolvable issue for Win10 users. WinXP does not have issues with Securedrv or FS9 or FSX installation, it will only be performance limitations that will force you back onto a Win10 64bit platform (with better hardware spec Flightsim rig), and there you will find some challenges for older software installation.

As they say in the classics, "Timing is everything". Switching OS (inevitably) is most likely at the heart of the problem. Unfortunately a process required by some JustFlight installers has been made by Microsoft unavailable under Win10, but can be re-enabled under Win7 & 8, this is the kicker for Win10 users where the process has been removed from the OS and will not made available for use. The process is called "SecureDrv", any Justflight installer requiring it can be re-enabled for temporary use under Win7&8, the tool can be downloaded from JustFlight, but this solution is not available under Win10 because it nolonger exists in the OS. MS in their wisdom chose not to make the process available, and chose to disable it via Winupdate for Win7&8. Hence the JustFlight Securedrv "SecureControl" enable/disable/status tool.

Caveat: (This applies to CD/DVD installed JustFlight titles requiring SECDRV.SYS service to be enabled prior to install)

Since Win7 will become almost completely unsupported by the end of January, much like WinXP now is, and in the not too distant future Win8 will also go this way, we will all be subject to the issues of making older software installation possible under Win10.

I am still using Win7 and about 3 months ago decided to look again at installing FS2004/ACOF, followed all the known install issues and managed to get FS9 all reinstalled and working somewhat how it used to. It was only when I tried to install a Justflight scenery title "FS Terrain" that it would stall the moment the installer tried to proceed, encountering a problem with Securedrv being disabled. Fortunately JustFlight had a tool for this and after using it, re-enabling Securedrv process the installation went ahead without a hitch. This will not work in your case (under Win10) no matter what CPU you have.

This is where I offer you a paddle and inform you that the Win10 creek can be treacherous, your Justflight FS payware Aircraft titles, may like all older software be resigned to the bookshelf of memories for posterity under Win10. We can blame MS for this not JF.

I am willing to help you resolve your FSX issues, and hopefully get you up and running. But I'm afraid some FS titles depending on installer security features will not be possible. It is a case of try, and if there are obstacles preventing installation without possible solution then move on to something that will work as an acceptable replacement. You can always ask the software vendor for specific questions.

Edited by jethrom

Thanks very much for taking the time to help jethrom, I really appreciate it.

I must confess that around 99% of what you wrote went straight over my head, but I can say that my FSX problem is that it won't install. I've tried boxed versions of Standard and Deluxe (SP1 & SP2?) and the files all upload but the installation doesn't complete as a file's not present. I'll come back to you with that one.

I think you're right when you say that my current aircraft will need to be replaced, the sad thing being that you can only get downloads these days which I'm not fussed on.

Hi Paul,

Just to be clear about terminology used when installing software

Download = content obtained from vendors over the internet (often in compressed format).

Install = software content distributed by process onto your computer Disk drive/s

Extraction/unzip = decompressing a compressed (zipped) file downloaded from a source

Installer = a special software which has the package installation process, combining decompression,

creation of folder structure and finally distributing the new files into these folders on your PC disks (ie; .exe, setup.exe).

Upload = supplying content via internet

It would be good to find out which absent pre-requisite is preventing FSX from installing. Win10 being the last and latest in the MS Operating System lineup does not come with some of the earlier .Net versions or earlier MS Visual C++ versions, these must be updated for all versions manually for backward compatibility. You should also consider that OS features like Antivirus, UAC (User Account Control) can interfere with installations.

As for Downloads now, instead of physical DVD/CD software, that is the future, DLC downloadable content and cloud storage are now the main source for vendors to supply software while keeping manufacturing overheads of out of the equation. There really is nothing to be fearful about downloadable software you can purchase or even freeware. Sometimes this is better, particularly where the Gigabytes of data can exceed being written to one DVD, and counterintuitive to providing massive multipart software on many DVD's in a set.

Manufacturing of DVD's has its downsides, where quality of the actual disk, shipping, storage, and longevity, Scratches & (bad data) can affect future usage of disk software, it is also easier to patch/update/supply Downloadable software.

Windows 10 needs a lot of BS to mess around with in order to get Flight Simulator working right. You'd be better off with XP. But that depends on whether you can use XP drivers on that motherboard. So with that, what are the specifics of your computer? Model of motherboard or make and model of computer if it's OEM like Dell.

Next time learn to do periodic disk clones. That way when things go south you'll have a back up. I use several external USB drives for my hard drive clones and use AOMEI Backupper. Though, I also have to use Clonezilla since I encrypt everything. But that's beyond the scope of this issue. Just get yourself an external USB hard drive that's larger than what you have now and use AOMEI Backupper to make a 1:1 disk clone. Then create the AOMEI Backupper boot drive with a blank USB thumb drive. That way you boot from the thumb drive like you would install Windows and can clone back from your external hard drive.

I also take it up a notch and put my external hard drives and what have you in $35 fireproof safes.

I come in here just to co-miserate with you. I KNOW how stressful not making Flt Sim work can be. It just ruins your whole YEAR! But there is hope. You need to take a deep breath and then realize that you might have to START from zero (again) - it you want to prevail! You just have to read and read some more to prevail. Myself I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit. THAT would be a good starting point for you. Win 7 Pro 64 bit from Amazon is fairly safe and is where I got mine. I can point you to the exact one (see pic). They (MS) says it no longer supports it, but I don't care about that. All I know is that Flt Sim works with Win 7 AND that they can't DISABLE Win 7- so I'm good. Then start with clean HDrive. DON'T install to C/Program Files folder, install to C/FS9 (or C/FSX). Read on steps to install Sim. Then read on tweeking Cfg (lots of forums with tips on all of this). When you prevail you will feel like a million dollars and no one can take THAT away from you. We ALL had to sweat the details to OWN the Sims. Write things down that you do, setp 1, 2, etc and use it as a guide as you MIGHT need to do it AGAIN. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Fsx runs and installs just fine on win10. If you can't install it you probably need to use resetsldl.exe (find that tool on FlyAwaySimulation.com). Is a tool that removes the fsx registry entries so you can reinstall fsx.

(as long as the registry entry is there the fsx installer will not offer "install". It will only offer "remove" or "repair".).

The registry entry will be left on the pc blocking the install after uninstalling incorrectly. But it will also be on the pc after cancelling an install attempt halfway.

In both cases you end up with the same situation. Registry entry is there (so installer doesn't offer install option), but fsx files are not there (so repair and remove options don't work either).

The fix for years has been: "use kb928080 to remove registry entry".

And now that kb928080 is not on the MS site any more, download resetsldl.exe which contains kb928080 as well. (and instructions on how to use it.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fsx runs and installs just fine on win10.

The fix for years has been: "use kb928080 to remove registry entry".

I've run kb928080 and got the "success" message but still no joy. I don't think it needs to reset the installation counter because I've reset Windows 10 so I'm guessing the count should be zero.

Would there be some legacy file from before the reset that's still storing the count?

What error message are you getting? if it's "1628 failed to complete installation" then have a look at this at answers.microsoft.com.

Yes, good point PAULCRAIG, this is true of Win10. FSX requires DirectX 9c for initial install then you can selectively run FSX Preview DirectX10 mode. (Win10 does not ship with DX9c, afaik.)

I wonder if the OP (Paul) has DX9C installed and updated.

FS9 uses DX9b which is checked for on install then installed as necessary, DX9c & Runtimes need to be updated with the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

Installshield Error 1628: Failed to Complete Script-Based Installation

The following error message can occur at run time when you are trying to uninstall, repair, or update an installation. Error 1628: Failed to complete script based install.

This error message is caused by the Windows Installer Service and is often caused by the installation itself.

Possible Cause 1

-----------------------

This error message is often caused when the uninstallation log file becomes corrupt. This can happen if the installation is somehow corrupt.

Fix: In the Windows Task Manager, end the process that is running IDriver.exe:

Right-click the Windows Task bar, then click Task Manager.

On the Processes tab, click the Image Name column to sort it alphabetically.

Review the running processes to see if idriver.exe is running.

If idriver.exe is running, click it or right-click it, then click End Process.

Run the installation again to see if the error still occurs.

Possible Cause 2

-----------------------

This error can also occur if the Windows Installer Service is not properly configured on your computer or if the installation is created with a newer version of the Windows Installer Service than the one on your computer.

Fix: To fix this issue, install the latest Windows Installer Service on your computer. Instructions and download links for the Windows Installer are listed below, sorted by operating system.

Windows XP:

Windows XP contains Windows Installer version 2.0. You should not have to install the Windows Installer Service (MSI engine) on Windows XP.

Restart your computer and run the installation again to see if the error continues to occur.

Possible Cause 3

-----------------------

This error message may also occur if a file in the Temp directory is conflicting with the files used by the installation while it is running.

Fix: Delete the entire contents of the Temp directory:

Double-click the My Computer icon on your desktop, or right-click Start, then click Explore.

Navigate to the Temp directory, for example, C:\Windows\Temp.

Click in the directory, then right-click and click Select All (or CTRL+A).

On the toolbar, click Delete or right-click the selection, then click Delete (or CTRL+X). A confirmation message appears.

Click Yes.

Run the installation again to see if the issue is resolved.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the installer is configured correctly as FSX is almost fully installed, that is to say it's worked through both disks correctly, before it gives a 1722 error message. Once I've clicked OK and it's rolled back I get a "1603 Fatal error during installation" and then the finish screen pops up.

The annoying thing is that it goes through the whole process before it tells me it won't play ball.

Here's a couple of links that may help, 1722 error & 1603 error.

Thanks PAULCRAIG but I've been there, done it and bought the t-shirt. To be honest the 1603 method is a little above my confidence level. To be honest I'll probably get hold of a "new" old machine to run Windows XP and find another use for the Windows 10 machine. Or I might explore dual booting.

Or I might explore dual booting.

Well that was short-lived! It seems I can't dual-boot an older OS onto a newer one, it has to be the other way around. I downloaded VirtualBox but I didn't find it intuitive and the 300+ page manual seems a bit OTT for my purposes. Looks like I'll just have to fix my old XP machine. Thanks Microshaft!:mad: