CPU or GPU where to invest

NZAA

Invest in a powerful CPU for both FSX and P3D - powerful, as understood in a high sustained clock rate.

The number of cores doesn't matter too much, as both FSX and P3D are single-threaded applications, and forget all about "turbo" or "boost" speeds - the sustained clock rate is what matters.

As for the make of CPU, go with Intel, and get a "K" series, that can be overclocked, should you desire to do so.

Jorgen

For FSX, where should I put my money? Invest in a powerful CPU or a poweful GPU? What's going to give me better graphics?

Both.

CPU for raw clock speed and sustained performance.

GPU for sustained graphics and raw fps.

You will also want a properly-optmised system.

Not enough - either GPU nor CPU.

Not everyone will get the absolute latest or has an unlimited budget.

A 1660Ti will be around 7% less than a 1070 for around 25% less cost. That's a perfectly good tradeoff so long as one is running at 1920x1080. I use a 1070 at 2560x1440 and that is starting to get marginal.

And while a 3700X isn't the absolute fastest, if one can get it (+ mobo) at 15% or so less than an Intel solution it is also an acceptable price/performance tradeoff.

Cheers!

Luke

Not everyone will get the absolute latest or has an unlimited budget.

A 1660Ti will be around 7% less than a 1070 for around 25% less cost. That's a perfectly good tradeoff so long as one is running at 1920x1080. I use a 1070 at 2560x1440 and that is starting to get marginal.

And while a 3700X isn't the absolute fastest, if one can get it (+ mobo) at 15% or so less than an Intel solution it is also an acceptable price/performance tradeoff.

Cheers!

Luke

While you CAN run FSX on low spec equipment, it WILL reward a beneficial gpu/cpu combo

But not if it's sub-par on both.

I don't see a 1660Ti as being "subpar". Do you feel a 1070 is subpar? Most simmers use a GPU significantly less powerful.

Cheers!

Luke

1660Ti is plenty. CPU you want 6 GHz. Why I use FS9 that needs 3.5 GHz. This is a rough guide if you want to max things out and run pretty much any add-on.

Mark Daniels

1660Ti is plenty. CPU you want 6 GHz. Why I use FS9 that needs 3.5 GHz. This is a rough guide if you want to max things out and run pretty much any add-on.

I used a 1660Ti for a year after my 1080Ti collapsed. FPS halved, and quality was much lower.

Don't tell me a 1660Ti is plenty.

I used a 1660Ti for a year after my 1080Ti collapsed. FPS halved, and quality was much lower. Don't tell me a 1660Ti is plenty.

Do you know that the 1660Ti hasn't even been out for a year?

Cheers!

Luke

screenshot? Of what? My GPU? Just a regular old one. 2 Core i3-4370. I dont have super high settings. But a lof of settings dont affect the GPU. Cloud size does though if running high SS or SGSS.

Just anything, keen to see what sort of display you get.