what sim should I buy?

John1307

What made you narrow it down to FS2020 and X-Plane 11?

Why did you exclude other sims, like P3D?

And what do you want to do with the simulator?

General aviation? Commercial? Military?

Are you interested in a specific region or aircraft?

FS2020 looks promising but we have yet to see the actual release.

X-Plane and P3D are available now and you know what you get.

Also, X-Plane and P3D will have many addons to choose from while FS2020 will initially only have 'default' aircraft until addon developers get interested.

I read that x-plane is more advanced than p3d or fsx.

That depends on who you talk to.

If FS2020 really is as nice as it now looks I think I wait a while.

You certainly will have to wait a while for that one. We should know how nice before this time next year.

You could pick up FSX-SE pretty cheap for now, get a lot of use out of it for not much money, and switch to another later, should you so choose.

But ultimately it has to be YOUR choice -- no one else can do more than offer facts and opinions, most of which you can see in one form or another on the various forums here.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

You actually have an advantage in either way you go! Some of us have progressed from the beginning of Microsoft Flight Sim, eventually ending up stopping at FS9 or FSX (that's me), or going on to P3d or x-plane!

What made many settle with staying with FS9 or FSX is the amount of add-ons, either scenery and/or aircraft they accumulated while simming with FS9 or FSX. That means a lot when you are faced with having to give up some of what you worked so hard in getting some nice scenery or aircraft. At the moment, I have 244 aircraft (total of default and add-ons) and would hate to give up one of them!

Right now, you don't have any personal opinion on either sim, so your choice, you will be walking into the program with no preferences, no inventory of scenery and/or aircraft add-ons! They're all good, FS2020 is still an unknown of what it will finally look like and what it offers, but the others have been

out there for awhile now, and all have their pros and cons.

I will agree with Inuss (Larry), FSX-SE can be had for little cost (I purchased it a few months back for $8.99 and put it on the back burner in case my FSX boxed Gold edition ever crashed and I needed something that I could carry on after the damage).

What's nice about FSX, FSX-SE, or FS9 (if you should want to do that), you have many people on this sim, as well as other sites out there, that are more than willing to help when help is needed. Just starting out, you will be reaching out for help for a while! Steam is not that much different than the standard FSX. I don't say that with experience because I never tried my purchase out, but I've had several member friends who made the switch for one reason or another and they did it without any difficult transitions!

Another thing to consider, you can always have two programs running on the same computer, if your computer will accept the required disk space. We have several members going back and forth between FSX / P3d or FSX / xplane. The choice is yours. In my opinion, FSX boxed or FSX-SE would be an easy start for you, and give you some time to play around and do further research on the other programs.

Good luck in getting your computer completed and the program chosen. Enjoy you flight simming on whatever program you choose for your flight simming adventures!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Thank you for the reactions.

As a have nothing now I indeed start with a clear page.

I don't want to wait another year for FS2020.

So as soon as the pc is ready I'll start with X-Plane.

Thanks,

John

One reason I have no interest in X-Plane is the many things it lacks or does poorly.

Mark Daniels

There's really no need to commit right off the bat. You can download and run a demo of X-Plane for no charge. FSX:SE is usually the least expensive, currently $25 on Steam, and Prepar3d v4, what I use, has a 14 day refund policy (I don't know if it's difficult to get the refund or not, but I've read that it's not).

I suppose if you want to commit immediately to X-Plane without trying any of them, that's your choice, of course. But I'm not sure why anyone would do that when you can try all 3 major sims for little or no money.

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.