SDK1 and SDK2 in FSX for ADE?

Airplane

Hey guys,

I wanted to start using ADE to edit airports in FSX but the program apparently needs some sort of SDK1 and SDK2 to run properly.

I have the original FSX program on my system and SP1 and SP2 are also installed; I assume this is not the same thing as SDK1 and 2?

Where can I download these SDK's and where should I install them in for them to be recognised by ADE? Can I install these SDK's in another folder on my desktop?

Hey Jorgen,

How would I know which one I need? ADE can't find either of them on my system -- the path directory's are blank in the ADE program.

And I'm a bit confused about what these SDK's are; I have both SP1 and SP2 for FSX installed, so are these SDK's a further service pack to the previous ones?

This helped me when I started with ADE. Courtesy of il88pp

The Fsx-Sdk is a toolkit that installs in it's own folder.

Read the Wiki for instructions. Read twice, then do correctly.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/ind...allation_(FSX)

Win 7 HP 64 bit, Zalman Z9 Plus case

Asus P8Z77-V LX Mobo ,i7 3770 3.4ghz CPU

16GB DDR3 1600mhz ,GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 OC

1TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thank you!

Can someone please confirm that these SDK's are different than the SP1 and SP2? What is the difference?

Will they alter or have any negative side on the aircraft and scenery add-ons that I have installed, since they are "settled" in the sim now?

+1 Confirmed! The SDK is entirely separate to the SP's (Service Packs): SDK stands for Service Development Kit and the kit contains developer tools for creating scenery, aircraft, panels & gauges, special effects and so on. Installing the SDK doesn't alter anything in the sim - ADE will access the installed SDK so that it can compile your new (or amended) airport file.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hmmm... I thought it was Software Development Kit. Oh, well.

Hi Larry, you're right of course - my proof-reading skills aren't what they used to be!

Hey guys, I'm still pretty confused with all of this. So from my understanding, the standard FSX version does not have these SDK's on the disk.

So does that mean the only way to access them is to purchase FSX deluxe? Or are these SDK's available for download on the internet?

Please read this guide carefully and then click on the links to download the SDK's you need:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX)

If you're running FSX with SP1 and SP2, you'll need to install SDK1 (from the FSX install disks), then SDK1a, then SDK2. It's all explained in the guide above.

Edited by tiger1962

Airplane, I can't believe these people spent a week sending you confusing replies instead of just answering your question in plain English.

You are correct in that SP1 is different than SDK1, etc.

SP1 & SP2 are Service Packs (Bug Fixes) that correct problems with how the sim (FSX) runs.

SDK1, 1A, & SDK2 are different versions of the Software Development Kit that was included if you bought the Deluxe version of FSX.

The SDK installs separately from the main FSX program, in some other folders. If you bought the Deluxe version you would have been given the option to install the SDK after the installation of the main FSX program was complete. Then you would have to install the patches to the SDK to match the same level of patches (SP1, SP2, etc.) that you applied to the main FSX program. Those were the initial release (RTM-Release to Manufacturing), SP1, SP2, Deluxe (included SP1, SP2, & the SDK), Acceleration, & now Steam versions.

Now, here is what the SDK (Software Development Kit) is:

It is an incomplete, jumbled up mess of little bits of information, & small executable programs, that allow you to edit or create: scenery, land class, terrain mesh, airplanes or other vehicles, edit sounds, panels & gauges, & many other things associated with FSX.

There is no comprehensive guide that explains everything. Rather it seems like the Microsoft Developers just dumped everything they could in there, & most if it is not well documented, or explained - typical computer geeks!

FSDeveloper.com is website that explains how to use some of the Development Tools included in the SDK, & they have some of their own tools also. It is a good resource, but again much of the documentation is sparse & not comprehensive.

Nevertheless, ADE (Airport Design Editor) needs to access some of those tools included in the SDK. ADE needs to know which folder to look in to find the appropriate tool in the SDK folders you have already installed on your hard-drive somewhere. All you need to do is to establish the link (point to the right folder) probably by filling in a dialog box or something. Other than that you don't need to have the SDK in any special folder.

Finally, I'm sorry to say that the only place I know of that you can get the SDK is from the Deluxe Version of FSX. As I recall it was $10 or $15 dollars more than the basic program, only because it included the hodge-podge SDK, & SP1 & SP2.

You might be able to get the SDK off the internet somewhere, & it might be included in those links on FSDeveloper.com. I can't tell you for sure, because if I click those links to see what is in them it might try to over-write my own SDK folders, & I don't want to risk that.

I hope you can find what you need, Good Luck.

Edited by Nels_Anderson

https://www.prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

You can go to the above link and download PREPAR3D V3 SDK

Install the files in a folder then link ADE to the directories in that folder.

One step which at this moment I can not remember how I did it is to find where

the bglcomp file is to link it up. I remember it took me a few to figure it out and

I did get ADE going to sucessfully edit FSX and FSX-SE airports.

Good morning and a very happy holidays to all from UK

The answer to your first question has already been answered here, but the the answer to your second question I am going to list here, just remember if you are happy with how things are at the moment just leave it like that otherwise it may end in tears:

Normal installation of FSX Deluxe (the one that comes with the sdk on disk), DVD Version), if you do not have the deluxe version just download the appropriate service packs and SDK's from microsoft) is as follows:

1. install fsx

2. Go in to disk one and look for a folder called SDK, open it and install. ( now what you have is just a normal fsx installation with sdk and gmax.

3. install service pack one and the sdk1

4. if you have a copy of FSX Accelleration you can go ahead and install this. The DVD comes with all the sdk's.

Only after you have done all this you should install other fs addons. Otherwise you will have a very unstable system.

It is always advisable to install all appropriate service packs and the correct SDK before any scenery or addons are introduced or it may cause hair loss! regards

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to refer to the P3D link and whether this would do the trick or not. I found someone on AVSIM who said ADE worked after doing this too.

The only question is, do I need to click the one which says "Prepar3D v3 SDK tools with examples"? Or the documentation one?

For FSX I think you should be downloading the P3D v1.4 SDK, the v3.3 SDK may possibly be fine to do what ADE needs it for (bglcomp, shp2vec), I don't know the answer to that question but I do know there are components of the 3.3 SDK that won't work with FSX, makemdl for example now outputs a P3D-native .mdl that isn't backwards-compatible with FSX. That said ADE doesn't need makemdl so you might be OK, dunno.

I'd install this one instead:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/prepar3d-v1-sdk.227/

(orange download button on the upper right)

Alright guys, this has become a bit more confusing now.

So I installed ADE 1.76 and I also installed the P3D SDK files that I needed to make ADE work, but I noticed that after installing the ADE program, I see that there's already a Shp2Vec and the BGL Compiler file needed for ADE in a folder on ADE called FSX.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Did the ADE creator add these for those who didn't have them to use in the program or should I ignore these files and instead use the ones that came in the P3D SDK?

Did the ADE creator add these for those who didn't have them to use in the program or should I ignore these files and instead use the ones that came in the P3D SDK?

I don't know the answer to that but that must be what he did. Really you should get on the fsdeveloper forum where Jon hangs out and get your info straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/airport-design-editor.95/

I'm a ways behind on my ADE version, I have v1.7 beta and I haven't touched it in a couple years. It does have a copy of bglcomp but I don't see shp2vec anywhere within the installation folder. The copy of bglcomp matches the copy in my FSX Acel SDK (v10.1.61637.0) so I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Personally I'd point both of them to the tools in the newly installed P3D 1.4 SDK folder and try it. See if you can output an airport .bgl and see if it works in the sim. Make an airport background poly in ADE so you can be assured shp2vec is working too, you should end up with an ICAO_ADEX_**.bgl and an ICAO_ADEX_**_CVX.bgl, the CVX is the one for the background poly and it's compiled by shp2vec, the other one is compiled by bglcomp. If they work and give you what you want in the sim I'd say you're good to go.

As I said though go to fsdeveloper and ask Jon directly (or search to see if the question has been asked before).

On my system I have both P3D v2 and FSX, along with ADE. When I fire up ADE it asks which sim to work with, presumably choosing certain things to work with the chosen sim, so I'd be inclined to use an FSX SDK with FSX and a P3D SDK with P3D.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

He has FSX Standard edition which doesn't come with an SDK, he can't install SDKs sp1a or sp2 because the RTM SDK must first be detected on his system or the installers won't run. The only way to get the RTM SDK is to own a copy of the FSX Deluxe disks and install it from those. That's why I'm trying to steer him towards the P3D v1.4 SDK which was essentially the same, and the generally accepted option for FSX SE which didn't ship with a (complete) SDK either.