Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SDK1 and SDK2 in FSX for ADE?

And here I thought it was System Development Kit... but whatever, the SDK is what's needed.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Hmmm... I thought it was Software Development Kit. Oh, well.
    Hi Larry, you're right of course - my proof-reading skills aren't what they used to be!
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

3. Default

Hey guys, I'm still pretty confused with all of this. So from my understanding, the standard FSX version does not have these SDK's on the disk.

So does that mean the only way to access them is to purchase FSX deluxe? Or are these SDK's available for download on the internet?

Please read this guide carefully and then click on the links to download the SDK's you need:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/ind...allation_(FSX)

If you're running FSX with SP1 and SP2, you'll need to install SDK1 (from the FSX install disks), then SDK1a, then SDK2. It's all explained in the guide above.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 12-28-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

5. Default

Airplane, I can't believe these people spent a week sending you confusing replies instead of just answering your question in plain English.

You are correct in that SP1 is different than SDK1, etc.
    SP1 & SP2 are Service Packs (Bug Fixes) that correct problems with how the sim (FSX) runs.
    SDK1, 1A, & SDK2 are different versions of the Software Development Kit that was included if you bought the Deluxe version of FSX.
    The SDK installs separately from the main FSX program, in some other folders. If you bought the Deluxe version you would have been given the option to install the SDK after the installation of the main FSX program was complete. Then you would have to install the patches to the SDK to match the same level of patches (SP1, SP2, etc.) that you applied to the main FSX program. Those were the initial release (RTM-Release to Manufacturing), SP1, SP2, Deluxe (included SP1, SP2, & the SDK), Acceleration, & now Steam versions.

Now, here is what the SDK (Software Development Kit) is:
    It is an incomplete, jumbled up mess of little bits of information, & small executable programs, that allow you to edit or create: scenery, land class, terrain mesh, airplanes or other vehicles, edit sounds, panels & gauges, & many other things associated with FSX.
    There is no comprehensive guide that explains everything. Rather it seems like the Microsoft Developers just dumped everything they could in there, & most if it is not well documented, or explained - typical computer geeks!

FSDeveloper.com is website that explains how to use some of the Development Tools included in the SDK, & they have some of their own tools also. It is a good resource, but again much of the documentation is sparse & not comprehensive.

Nevertheless, ADE (Airport Design Editor) needs to access some of those tools included in the SDK. ADE needs to know which folder to look in to find the appropriate tool in the SDK folders you have already installed on your hard-drive somewhere. All you need to do is to establish the link (point to the right folder) probably by filling in a dialog box or something. Other than that you don't need to have the SDK in any special folder.

Finally, I'm sorry to say that the only place I know of that you can get the SDK is from the Deluxe Version of FSX. As I recall it was $10 or $15 dollars more than the basic program, only because it included the hodge-podge SDK, & SP1 & SP2.

You might be able to get the SDK off the internet somewhere, & it might be included in those links on FSDeveloper.com. I can't tell you for sure, because if I click those links to see what is in them it might try to over-write my own SDK folders, & I don't want to risk that.

I hope you can find what you need, Good Luck.
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 12-29-2019 at 05:10 PM.

https://www.prepar3d.com/support/sdk/
    You can go to the above link and download PREPAR3D V3 SDK
    Install the files in a folder then link ADE to the directories in that folder.
    One step which at this moment I can not remember how I did it is to find where
    the bglcomp file is to link it up. I remember it took me a few to figure it out and
    I did get ADE going to sucessfully edit FSX and FSX-SE airports.

7. Default

Good morning and a very happy holidays to all from UK
    The answer to your first question has already been answered here, but the the answer to your second question I am going to list here, just remember if you are happy with how things are at the moment just leave it like that otherwise it may end in tears:

Normal installation of FSX Deluxe (the one that comes with the sdk on disk), DVD Version), if you do not have the deluxe version just download the appropriate service packs and SDK's from microsoft) is as follows:
    1. install fsx
    2. Go in to disk one and look for a folder called SDK, open it and install. ( now what you have is just a normal fsx installation with sdk and gmax.
    3. install service pack one and the sdk1
    4. if you have a copy of FSX Accelleration you can go ahead and install this. The DVD comes with all the sdk's.
    Only after you have done all this you should install other fs addons. Otherwise you will have a very unstable system.
    It is always advisable to install all appropriate service packs and the correct SDK before any scenery or addons are introduced or it may cause hair loss! regards

Ah, so THAT is why I have so little hair left!!!

And happy new year to you too....

Jorgen

9. Default

Thank you very much for this explanation Joe!

(and thank you to everyone else too, you're doing Gods work by trying to help me out haha)

10. Default

I was just about to refer to the P3D link and whether this would do the trick or not. I found someone on AVSIM who said ADE worked after doing this too.

The only question is, do I need to click the one which says "Prepar3D v3 SDK tools with examples"? Or the documentation one?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast