Traffic missing!

Mac6737

All of a sudden, there are very few AI planes (if that's the term) in my sim. From the outset (almost a year ago) on P3D, air traffic has been completely normal. Then, suddenly, it has become almost non-existent. The only thing I have changed that comes to mind is the installation of an Orbx Air Traffic package for Australia -- where there's too damned much traffic now! ("go around," "go around.") And I can't swear that the absence of traffic was temporally related to that install.

There must be some traffic outside of Australia, because I have seen ONE AI plane recently. But I recently entered the pattern with ATC at a major airport (Salt Lake City) in daytime, and saw not one single AI plane. My traffic sliders are right up there.

Any ideas?

Thanks all,

Mac6737

Use AIFP to check for any FS9 traffic files, and if found, convert them to FSX format (which is what P3D uses)

Jorgen,

Thank you. What is "AIFP," and how do you "convert" files to FSX? In any case, I've had normal AI traffic for a full year, since installing P3D. Is there any reason to think I have FS9 files in here?

Mac6737

Mac6737,

It happens more often than you think. A piece of scenery can contain a traffic file that the author "forgot" to tell you about, for instance.

Jorgen,

OK, I followed the link, and discover a fiendishly complex world almost none of which relates to my normal sim experience. I see that AIFP is an application, and I have found the section dealing with what it calls "bulk conversion." I am very hesitant to mess with my P3D files, since I really don't know what I am doing.

Hence, before going further, I'm going to provide a bit more acquired info to see if it's consistent with your diagnosis:

1. Now, even in Australia, there is almost no AI traffic, notwithstanding I have installed Orbx's AU traffic add-on. (Recall it was excessive before.)

2. I installed P3D less than a year ago. I don't believe I have installed any scenery that might have contained FS9 files. ALL my scenery is in the Orbx suite.

3. There is at least some AI traffic; it's just that it's much sparser than it was a month or so ago. I recently landed at O'Hare late Sunday afternoon, and saw ONE AI airplane, a 747.

Are you convinced the solution to my problem lies in AIFP?

Thanks again,

Mac6737

Here's what you do, and this will not interfere with any of your existing non-FS9 AI flightplans:

Under "Bulk Traffic" go down the menu, and click on "Find FS9 Traffic Files". You will then be asked where to look for traffic files, point that to your main P3D folder.

Let the program run, and then it will either tell you if there are no FS9 traffic files (with what you have just told me, I would expect that), or you'll be told which were found, and you'll be given an option to convert them.

It's so easy that even I could figure that one out - but you're absolutely correct, AIFP is a complex piece of machinery..... and I only am familiar with a few functions.

Jorgen