Scenery Error - in addon scenery [FSX Steam]

bmw1984

When I activate FSX the following appears [sCENERY.CFG File error. invalid remote scenery path in scenery area.102

click to continue. ]

Many of these scenery area numbers come up and have to click OK several times before I can 'go flying'

I've only had this happen ONCE and that was long ago but I'll offer my opinion...

a normal scenery library entry looks like this:

............. example only ...............

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=127

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

the scenery cfg entry that caused the problem looked like this:

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Remote=Addon Scenery

Layer=127

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

I didn't set it up that way and I didn't change it to remote ( so..... magic? Gremlins? )

The 'remote' entry properly occurs when YOU add scenery that is stored on a slow remote location and you want to cache it on the HDD for faster loading before it is used by the sim. I've tested this and I know it to be true...

What I would do is search your scenery.cfg (open in notepad) for the word "remote" and if it is found, then edit it back to "local" unless YOU purposely installed it to be remote. Your scenery.cfg should/may be in either Your Users\username\appData\roaming\microsoft\FSX (or the equivilant AllUsers location if you installed it for all users - like I did)

Once it's working correctly, make a backup and remember what fixed it - we may never know what caused it...but report back when it's fixed. Hope this helps.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I've only had this happen ONCE and that was long ago but I'll offer my opinion...

a normal scenery library entry looks like this:

............. example only ...............

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=127

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

the scenery cfg entry that caused the problem looked like this:

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Remote=Addon Scenery

Layer=127

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

I didn't set it up that way and I didn't change it to remote ( so..... magic? Gremlins? )

The 'remote' entry properly occurs when YOU add scenery that is stored on a slow remote location and you want to cache it on the HDD for faster loading before it is used by the sim. I've tested this and I know it to be true...

What I would do is search your scenery.cfg (open in notepad) for the word "remote" and if it is found, then edit it back to "local" unless YOU purposely installed it to be remote. Your scenery.cfg should/may be in either Your Users\username\appData\roaming\microsoft\FSX (or the equivilant AllUsers location if you installed it for all users - like I did)

Once it's working correctly, make a backup and remember what fixed it - we may never know what caused it...but report back when it's fixed. Hope this helps.

Loyd

Sometimes the newest (actual) FSXscenery.cfg is located in the ProgramData folder.

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

I listed these FSX locations the other day in another post and noticed then that when I looked at the address bar while viewing the "C:\ProgramData" location, that it showed the Users\username\AppData location... so I assume that ProgamData is just a collection of links to actual locations so perhaps it is also the quickest route to scenery.cfg if you don't know if it's in "users" or "AllUsers" - mine is actually in "all users" in Win7. My FSX-SE equivalent in Win10 continues to just show ProgramData, so OK, just go there; at least that seems to be a "common" location in the two OS's... go with whatever is simple!

L

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Sometimes the newest (actual) FSXscenery.cfg is located in the ProgramData folder.

+/-1

ALWAYS in ProgramData, from W7 (maybe already Vista, dunno) and up.

The Users\etc... location was only used (and still valid) in XP.

@OP: I'm also confused about the "remote", but SCENERY.CFG errors at startup in most (if not all) cases mean you've deleted scenery folders before properly disabling/deleting them in the simulator's Scenery Config Menu.

I once had an external disc going disconnected (flawing connection), with a tsunami of scenery errors just like your's as a result. Just a thought...

Wim

Edited by f16jockey_2
b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Some observations on the issue...

First - The first area that the OP is stating is causing the error (Area.102) is, unless the user has changed the priority listing, a default FSX scenery location. The further statement that 'Many of these scenery area numbers come up and have to click OK several times before I can 'go flying' would suggest that some or all of the remaining areas are also corrupt. I assume that this may include the remaining default areas (Area.103 to Area.121) and, possibly any other areas that the OP has added

Second - As this the steam version I would first run the steam file validation tool to check that integrity of the install.

Third - IME the REMOTE entry only occurs when installing scenery from an external source (i.e direct from a download source) or a media source (i.e. CD/DVD, external HDD, USB etc) due to bad/corrupted files, scratches on disks or USB power related problems such as spikes/loss problems

Forth - An invaluable tool that makes reviewing/editing the scenery,cfg file easy is a tool called Scenery Config Editor (SCE) - see HERE to download and HERE for info and instructions on its use.

Edited by longbreak754
Added text shown in ittalicts

Regards

Brian