Affinity tool question

JSMR

I’ve recently been messing around with the affinity mask setting in FSX. I never found it successful until I realised I was using the wrong setting in the FSX cfg. After changing it I got much better performance. Maybe 10 FPS more and smoother all around performance. Quite significant I thought.

FS9 though is the opposite. Since you can’t put the same job scheduler line in the cfg, I use the affinity tool available. I have an i3-4370. Dual core.

Using the 2CPU setting, I get worse performance and more stutters.

Interestingly the affinity tool program says I have 4 cores. So I’m guessing something is not correct with the 2 core setting?

Interestingly the affinity tool program says I have 4 cores. So I’m guessing something is not correct with the 2 core setting?

That could be due to multiple threads from the CPU.

Edit-

Yep, you have four threads per core. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77495/intel-core-i3-4370-processor-4m-cache-3-80-ghz.html

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Ah ok. Must be what the program listed as ‘cores’.

Still, worse performance compared to the improvements with FSX.

Different coding I guess.

FSX SP1 and later have limited multi threading support, so can use more than one core. FS9 is a single thread program and only uses one core at a time.

In general setting the affinity manually is really only needed for FSX if there are conflicts with the sim and other applications being run on the same core. It will use all cores on its own without any outside intervention.

Ok thank you. Although I’ve seen definite improvement setting the correct value - for me - in FSX. most other tweaks I’m hard pressed to see much of a difference.

I guess I’ll just leave it alone for FS9.

Did you try leaving that tweak out entirely? Many jump straight into adding it, and recommending it, thinking that it's required.

Probably. And can’t remember. I could delete it and see if better performance.

I had it set for 84, but it was stuttery and low FPS. Changing it to 4 improved things quite a bit.

But perhaps without it, I’d get the same pretty descent performance.

I’ll test later and see what happens.