When real airport ICAO changes, how to change in FSX/ADE?

tommyeng

There is a real world airport (at least one) that has it's ICAO code changed by authorities.

What would be the smartest way of changeing that for the FSX world to offer it as a freeware airport (with other adjustments like taxiways and signs)?

Tommy Engman ESNU

I find that you have to open the original airport in ADE, and save it as an .xml file. Then you can open the .xml file in an xml editor and make the changes there. Save the file back to an .xml file, then open the file in ADE from the open as an .xml and you can then save it back to the .bgl format, after any changes you want to make it in. You will want to make changes to the original airport file though, take out all the scenery that might carry over though, such as runways, taxiways, buildling, taxi signs. Because those will still carry over to you new airport, giving you double scenery

I have done this with a couple of airport to revive some old Naval Air Stations in the US, some that have had their codes changed from what they had as NAS's. I've had to open the original file, remove everything, except for the dot for the center of the airport. Then, once I made the changes to the new airport, I saved it with the new ICAO code and it was done.

But, any traffic you may have might still be using the old ICAO code might have troubles. New traffic with the updated code should work fine, but the old traffic with the old code might have problems!!

Thanks for the links. I should have found them myself, but...

Now I have performed both suggestions in this thread. Both came out with similar results for me; changing the airport ID in the .xml file or changing it via ADE.

Having deleted everything with ADE in the stock airport I have compiled the "empty" airport .bgl file. I have tried compiling to Addon Scenery/scenery, and to Scenery/World/scenery. Between every compilation I have updated from inside FSX Settings/Scenery or restarted FSX. I find the new airport ICAO code and name in the selection list but have no success when choosing it.

My results sofar consist of: Double airports if I don't change the ID of my new version of the airport. FSX crash when choosing the airport if airport ID is changed (from ESPC to ESNZ and corresponding fields to new airports name). No difference in result if I compile with different file names.

But if I delete the airport .bgl files ("alt" and both with and without "cvx" files created from the deleted stock airport wether they are placed in World/Scenery or AddonScenery/Scenery) and change back to the original ID (ESPC) I get the new airport without double. This happens despite all other fields changed to the new airport name. The ID seems impossible to get around.

If you have any idea about what I may have done wrong to end in failure here please let me know.

Edited by tommyeng
Tommy Engman ESNU