- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 6GB TUF

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor 6 Cores 12 Threads 4.2GHz

- Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory Kit

- Hard Disk: 480GB SSD

How will this compare to

- AMD 965 Processor

- 1TB HDD

- GTS220 Video Card

First one, all good except cpu. Get intel that can overclock. 4 cores. (up to 4 cores does make a difference, more then 4 doesn't help.). (hyperthreading doesn't fsx help either. (but does help some addons and helps Windows itself)). 9600k for example. Or 9700k if you want hyperthreading. Both are overclockable.

Other parts of top pc are ok. Possibly get bigger SSD. Definitely add a large mechanical storage drive. 2TB or so.

Build pc yourself. Less expensive, and resulting pc will be much better.

Bottom computer. Much less good then top one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Of course, you'll need a budget! And if you have a Significant Other, then the importance of the budget just tripled.

Second, get a desktop. Laptops are cute, but inflexible, and probably only used by people that consider FSX a game, not a simulation (I wonder how many toes I just stepped on....).

Third, get a CPU from Intel, with a clock rate as high as your budget will allow. Important: that clock rate has to be the base clock rate - forget about turbo and boost clock rates. Raw base clock rate is what matters. The number of cores is not as important as the base clock rate. Did I say base clock rate?

Fourth, get a graphics adapter by nVidia, with as much VRAM on it as your budget will allow.

Fifth, for the RAM in the system, get at least 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, again as fast as you budget will allow.

Sixth, get at least one SSD for Windows, and if the budget will allow a separate one for FSX. Add-on scenery does not have to be on the same drive as FSX, and for that you can choose a HDD.

I think I said budget enough times?

As you can see now, there are a lot of decisions and possible trade-offs and compromises that you have to make, and of course you also have to consider what else you want to use the computer for.

Jorgen

Of course, you'll need a budget! And if you have a Significant Other, then the importance of the budget just tripled.

Second, get a desktop. Laptops are cute, but inflexible, and probably only used by people that consider FSX a game, not a simulation (I wonder how many toes I just stepped on....).

Third, get a CPU from Intel, with a clock rate as high as your budget will allow. Important: that clock rate has to be the base clock rate - forget about turbo and boost clock rates. Raw base clock rate is what matters. The number of cores is not as important as the base clock rate. Did I say base clock rate?

Fourth, get a graphics adapter by nVidia, with as much VRAM on it as your budget will allow.

Fifth, for the RAM in the system, get at least 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, again as fast as you budget will allow.

Sixth, get at least one SSD for Windows, and if the budget will allow a separate one for FSX. Add-on scenery does not have to be on the same drive as FSX, and for that you can choose a HDD.

I think I said budget enough times?

As you can see now, there are a lot of decisions and possible trade-offs and compromises that you have to make, and of course you also have to consider what else you want to use the computer for.

Jorgen

1: Too funny but so true

2: Desktop all the way

3: Is Intel better than AMD? You can get a better AMD for the same money you spend on Intel? How important is Intel over AMD

4: Is it better to spend more on GPU or CPU?

5: 16GB DDR4 ram

6: 500GB SSD for Win 10. 3 x HDD's for other stuff.

2:

Two things

!. The fastest speed per core CPU you can afford. FSX doesn't use lots of CPU cores, it lives and dies by core speed. I'm running at 5.2 right now and sometimes that doesn't seem fast enough.

2. And as has been mentioned powerful, probably overpowered is better, power supply! The more excess power your power supply has the less voltage draw down on the processor. Also if you're using a bunch of USB devices, you need powered USB ports! Too much USB draw on the main board will also suck down the voltage to your CPU and cause excess heat on every device. HEAT KILLS!

Rupert

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Another Thought: The long promised New Microsoft Flight Simulator,

If you believe Microsoft will ever come out with a new replacement for FSX, you might want to consider using a AMD chip for your build.

We've heard rumors for over a decade of a totally new, hopefully 64 bit flight/sim product, from Microsoft. If in fact it ever is published and doesn't require the use of "The Cloud," charge a monthly fee, etc., you may want to buy it at some future time. I probably would as well. But I've heard these rumors so many times before I'm not holding my breath!!:p

FSX, P3D, etc. were written using Intel products so many believe they run better with an Intel Chip. The latest rumors I've heard are that the new Microsoft sim, if there is such, is being written for the AMD chip.

So you if you are a Microsoft optimist, you might want to take those rumors into consideration and build with the AMD chip it is said to be based on.

Having said that, I won't pay monthly licensing fees, use the cloud, etc. for my simming. So unless it's a clean install I'll pass on their rumored new product altogether.

Rupert

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.