Releasing handbrake

Rusty933

Hi, I am completely new to FSX and bought it for my 8 year old grandson. We have managed basic flying but so far we've had trouble releasing the handbrake for take off on some aircraft. On others we have tried the aircraft is already flying when we launch it.

These are very basic but cant find an answer anywhere else?

Rusty

Hi Rusty,

Good you are introducing your young ones into Flight simulation. You will be amazed at how quickly an 8yr old can familiarise themselves, pretty soon he'll be teaching you, but first the need to get all those nose diving crashes out of the way.

On the subject of releasing the Parking Brake you can press the "." Period key on your keyboard. To apply the Parking Brake you would use keyboard Combo "Ctrl+." (Ctrl+Period)

If using a Joystick, the trigger is usually mapped for releasing/applying brakes and releasing Park Brake simultaneously.

If you need to Learn about simulator generally and Key functions, you can access the kneeboard from the FSX Menu banner Aircraft Tab >select Kneeboard >"Keys". Or use the FSX Learning Center from the Banner menu Help tab or from the FreeFlight screen "Left menu" Learning Center. use the indexed options to find specific info alphabetically.

Cheers Jethro

Edited by jethrom

Yes, the period key should work for that. It's going to take a lot of time to learn the ropes. I have about a thousand hours and I still have things to learn. It's not like a game you can just jump into. There are a lot of things not in the training materials. So watch some YouTube videos and Google things about aviation.

It sounds like you are flying using the keyboard. You should get a joystick for best experience with flying Flight Sim. An excellent joystick is the Microsoft Sidewinder 2 (do NOT get the Force Feedback!!) which is USB connect so no installation of drivers is required. Plug N Play. This joy can be found on Amazon for $29 (used but ok - see pic). Don't pay $99 for a joystick that doesn't last due to mechanical problems, etc. I have had my Sidewinder for 15 years and it still work like new.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: For easier throttle management get a 10-Keypad (see pic) and map F1 to F4 keys on it. No need to buy an expensive throttle quadrant. You will enjoy flying a lot more when you don't have to use the keys on keyboard. Fly in Style!

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 4 weeks later...

If the parking brake is off will set parking brake on.

But... If the parking brake is already on, will switch the parking brake off!! (it's a 'toggle command'.)

Happened to me a few times over the years. Thought parking brake was off so tried to switch it on. But it actually was on already so I switched it off instead.

Since that happened I now switch the parking brake on by pressing first. (to release it). And only then pressing to set the parking brake.

That way I can be certain it's properly set.

Happy Flights!:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]