FSX Won't run in Windows 10

scaleboat

I Have just purchased a new off the shelf gaming PC and can't get FSX to run in Windows 10 (Home Edition). My old PC was self built 10 years ago with an i7 chip (stock speed of 3.2 gigs, overclocked to up to 4 gigs); dual graphics cards and 12 gigs of ram. I was running Windows 7 Pro and did mostly airline flying with nearly all of the WOAI packages installed and edited so that all liveries properly displayed.

My new system is an off-the-shelf Asus gaming desk top: i7 9700K processor, 16 gigs ram, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Graphics card with 8 gigs of memory, 500 gig SSD for C drive, 1T HDD for D drive.

FSX will install, but after you set up a flight and hit "fly now", the screen goes black and just sits there playing the FSX intro music for as long as you are willing to listen. I have the FSX Gold edition, and initially installed all three discs. After discs 1 and 2 installed, I registered using the product key, then continued with the installation of the Acceleration Expansion package - disc 3. The registration for the expansion failed and I got an error message each time I tried to load the software.

Doing some research I found where people said the Acceleration package would not work in Windows 10, so I removed the software and reinstalled using just the Deluxe Edition (discs 1 and 2 only). I have removed and reinstalled the software several times, have changed the compatibility modes, and run as administrator. I no longer get any error messages, just the above result of listing to FSX music while watching a black screen.

I installed FS9 and Combat FS2 by just copying the software from my old backup drive to my new D drive, and both worked first time. I tried this with FSX but I get the same result as when I install from the disc.

Back in 2015 when Microsoft was first coming out with Windows 10, I tried the switch on my old computer. I was able then to get FSX to work in compatibility mode, but initially unable to get FS9 or CFS2 to work, because both programs required a disc to be installed to run, and Windows 10 did not recognize that. I went back to Windows 7, but later found the fix where you don't need the disc. So that's where I am. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really like to get FSX up and running.

Of course FSX will run under Windows 10, I have been doing that, with Acceleration, since Windows 10 came out. And you do not have to run in compatibility mode either.

What you need to do is to install it OUTSIDE the reach of UAC, that means in C:\FSX or something like that, but absolutely not under C:\Program Files (x86) where it wants to install. Then you need to set it to run as Administrator. Turn UAC off also, if you are OK with that.

There are tons of threads telling you the exact procedure for installing FSX and Acceleration - I know that because I have been writing my share of them.

But, in your situation now, do this:

1. Uninstall both FSX and Acceleration, through uninstall in Control Panel. Reboot. Check everything is gone.

2. Install the DirectX Redistributables - a free download from Microsoft. Reboot.

3. Run Windows Update, make sure the switch under "Advanced Options" called "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is turned on. Run the update until there are no more updates to get.

4. Install FSX, remember to change the path it installs to. At the end of the installation, fly around a minute or so in the ultralight, then end the flight. Now reboot.

5. Now install Acceleration, at the end of that installation fly around again for a minute, end the flight. Reboot again.

6. Now enjoy!

Jorgen

PS: let us know how it goes. And, if anyone in the future tells you that FSX is not compatible with Windows 10, ask them if they also have a cheap Brooklyn Bridge for sale - because they are, without any respect, full of it.

just in case you have issues installing at a location of your choice, there's a check box at the beginning of the install procedure that says "advanced install" - or something like that - You need to check this to get the option to install elsewhere. Good luck.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

OK. I installed the direct x redistributables, disabled UAC, installed all available windows updates with the switch under advanced options turned on, uninstalled fsx through control panel, checked to verify that it was completely removed, rebooted, reinstalled discs 1 and 2, at C: Microsoft Flight Simulator X, registered the product, rebooted, started fsx, updated the setting to a screen resolution of 1920 x 1200 x 32, selected the default flight, chose fly now, and got the same result. fsx goes to the black screen and plays the fsx music.

On reviewing my own post, I saw that I had omitted two very important things:

After installing FSX DeLuxe (the 2 disks), flying around, shutting down and rebooting you need to activate FSX DeLuxe! Then reboot again.

Similarly, after installing Acceleration, flying around, shutting down and rebooting, you need to activate Acceleration. Reboot again.

Now you should be able to enjoy.

Note that there are two different activation codes for DeLuxe and Acceleration.

Jorgen

I installed all of them from the bottom up. Only the oldest two had not been previously installed on my system. Still getting the same result. After hitting "fly now" I get to listen to music and watch a black screen. I hit the alt + enter as well. Nothing happens.... I also had already registered the Deluxe version and rebooted as suggested above. No change.

• 2 weeks later...
It might be useful to post a screenshot of your install file tree? Im guessing this is something really simple that has been missed. FSX Deluxe has run on win10 for me from day one its on my M drive as M:/Microsoft FSX. Your rigs more than adequate so this all points to user error.

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

I installed all of them from the bottom up. Only the oldest two had not been previously installed on my system. Still getting the same result. After hitting "fly now" I get to listen to music and watch a black screen. I hit the alt + enter as well. Nothing happens.... I also had already registered the Deluxe version and rebooted as suggested above. No change.

Forget the music. You seem enthralled by that. Show file tree, as requested, and confirmation of what ancillaries are installed. You also need to have a compete installation of the Microsoft Redistrituble C++ network, which you do not mention.

• 6 months later...
Not sure if you are still needing help, I followed most of the instructions you received, but had the same issue as you. I finally got it to work. The secret seemed to be comp mode 8, and checking Run: "Maximized". I am running same processor as you, hard drive, and 6 gig nvida card. I also installed sp1 and sp 2, but not the acceleration pack as I could never get the registration to work. With these settings it seems to be working fine (so far) in win 10.

OK. I installed the direct x redistributables, disabled UAC....

First - installing the DX Redist first may be an issue because the subsequent FSX install may have corrupted the new files - FSX need version 9c and it is included in the disc but it is known that the version included is incompatible with Win 10. I would therefore reinstall the DX Dist package - ensure that you do so using Admin rights.

There are also some other essential libraries that you may be missing that have not been mentioned by others...

You can use Programs and Features to check if you have any of the following 'libraries' installed or, if you wish, simply download and install them - the installers will check for any previous install and will replace any missing/invalid/corrupt files or install the complete package as appropriate.

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable packs - specifically version 2005 and 2008 but I also recommend installing 2010 as well. You can find download links for earlier version HERE

You will need to download the relevant 'bit' version for your OS (i.e. 32 or 64 bit). Click on the required link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately, starting with the oldest version, and reboot using the RESTART option between each install. The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

.NET Framework - specifically versions 3.5 and 4 - download from HERE - download and install using the same procedure for the C++ files.

It is worth pointing out that you can have multiple versions of these 'libraries' installed. They are not just required by FSX but are used by many programs and apps. They will work happily along side each other and a program or app will automatically use the most compatible version.

Regards

Brian

I do not want to sound like 'a smart *ss' but I would say : go to 'Steam' and have the latest upgraded FSX running in WIN10 in maybe 30 min. No keycodes, runtimes, Frameworks, authorizations, nothing of that. Only in case you decide to go 'Steam' make really sure you first uninstall, delete, remove all visible and hidden traces of previous FSX installments

WIN10 I7-6700K GTX1050TI4G 16G-DDR4 SSD 500G

C:\Steam\\\FSX FlyAwayGlobalMesh UTX USA,CAN,TROP,EUR,ASK,AS FSceneX

Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

I do not want to sound like 'a smart *ss' but I would say : go to 'Steam' and have the latest upgraded FSX running in WIN10 in maybe 30 min. No keycodes, runtimes, Frameworks, authorizations, nothing of that. Only in case you decide to go 'Steam' make really sure you first uninstall, delete, remove all visible and hidden traces of previous FSX installments

WIN10 I7-6700K GTX1050TI4G 16G-DDR4 SSD 500G

C:\Steam\\\FSX FlyAwayGlobalMesh UTX USA,CAN,TROP,EUR,ASK,AS FSceneX

It is not necessary to remove FSX before installing FSX-SE. I had both running on the same computer for a long time.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having same problem as what scaleboat described back in December: black screen after clicking 'Fly Now'. This problem occurred on an Alienware PC. Did the install twice; same problem.

I installed on HP PC, also Win10, and it ran there fine. These 2 installs were 2 weeks apart, using same DVD box set. The Alienware had Visual C++ 2005, 2008.

One difference, on Alienware the FSX files are dated 2006; whereas on HP PC and on my 9-yr old Win7 PC (FSX ran on both) the files are dated 2007 ! Also, on the Alienware it took over an hour to read in DVD #1. Anybody know why this would be ? Is there a way to examine/list out the relevant files (DX_ & Visual C++ & ...) on the HP PC which worked and the Alienware which did not ?

Hi,

If installed correctly you will files dated both 2006 and 2007 scattered throughout the root directory and folders. The only thing I can think off regards the Alienware is that the initial install of deluxe worked but the subsequent install of Accel failed. There is a well known issue regarding installing Accel (that seems more common on Win 10) regarding an error with the associated registry key see this THREAD and/or this THREAD for a solution.

I have also replied to your PM...:)

Regards

Brian

Basic things first.

Restore your orignal startup flight.

Steps are:

Shut down fsx first,

open the fsx.cfg file that's in the Appdata/microsoft/fsx -folder.

find line:

situation="whatever it says in your file"

and change that line to simply:

situation=

Close and save the file.

Start fsx again. You'll have your orignal startup flight back. (ultralight friday harbour.)

Don't save a new flight "as default" for a while.

Second thing to do:

Re-install your videocard driver. Or update it to the most recent one. (or in some cases, install an older one.)

stay safe. Worrying about unknowns like a virus won't help you. Simply wear a mask, avoid close contacts for a while. You can't do much more, and worrying about unknowns would just drive you up the wall anyway.

Take care of yourself. Food, hygene, call people. Those things are good to keep your spirits up.

Hug,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quote: ''stay safe. Worrying about unknowns like a virus won't help you. Simply wear a mask, avoid close contacts for a while. You can't do much more, and worrying about unknowns would just drive you up the wall anyway. Take care of yourself. Food, hygene, call people. Those things are good to keep your spirits up. Hug, il.''

Well thanks for the Hug. Hi5. But you forgot to include exercise and sleep. Walking is very good. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).