Fogged in - literally

richiemo

Gang - was loading a flight today and was trying to match real weather in SFO. I selected full overcast and 5 or 10 miles visibility. And it kept crashing FS9 and the program would start. If I left visibility as unlimited it would be fine. I've selected 10 mile visibility before. Any idea why the visibility would crash the system.

If you use HD cloud textures they can cause very low FPS in full overcast conditions, possibly even a CTD.

I use the lowest resolution HD cloud textures I can, which is 512x512 pixels. The default cloud textures are 256x256 pixels.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Col,

I use the High Definition Environment (hde.zip) by Pablo Diaz, but the same principle applies.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

OK Tim I got the clouds installed, so far so good.

I have my FS2004 in 60's retro mode and in doing so I installed SilverWings scenery, at first it looked OK but for some reason it seems to have lost something.

After I get above 2500ft the scenery looks awful, no details at all just mass of a blurred texture, also if I'm below 2000ft the detail is back but some things annoy me, there is a factory with 3 chimneys scatted about every 200 yards apart and what looks like a cathedral every 200 yards as well.

So now I'm looking for something else.