Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New antivirus FSX.

Default New antivirus FSX.

Have MSE virus scanner but in January Microsoft is stopping support for Windows 7 .

Thinking of getting the paid Norton 360 or McAfee virus scanner.

Or is there a better paid/free antivirus for the flightsimulations.

One which does not see files as a bug threat.

It will be for my FSX ( as at the moment I do not have P3D or Windows 10 )

I want to keep my complete computer safe and of course the Flight Simulations.

Any tips are most welcome.

I have the paid AVG, and am very happy with it, under Windows 10, and with both FSX and P3D.

Jorgen

Hi,

I use paid for Avast Internet Security, very low footprint and I am
    very happy with it on Windows 10,

cheers

Thanks for your reply.

I want this antivirus for Windows 7 to bridge the long gap until I eventually make the step to buy a new

PC with Windows 10 installed.

I used the free version of Avast for a few years, worked well and I finally bought it and have renewed it for 2 years now. It doesn't eat the processor up and light when running. I have not had any issues with FSX dlx (boxed) tho I do need to shut it down when installing a program or app. after that it works very well.
    AD

6. Default

I don't run any anti-virus. For one, they can and will muck up things on a gaming PC. 2, they won't catch polymorphic malware, and 3, I just use the now free Sandboxie for my browser and scan ALL downloads at Virus Total.

If you feel like you visit very unsafe Internet terrain, then try the free Immunet. https://www.immunet.com/index
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ortho View Post

I want this antivirus for Windows 7 to bridge the long gap...

It's a fallacy to think that just because your OS doesn't get "updates" you're going to get loads of malware.

I run a netbook connected to a small wireless keyboard/mouse and monitor in the kitchen that is on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, three hundred and sixty five days a year that serves as a local FTP and runs Phone Tray connected to a USB caller-ID capable dial-up modem to block phone calls, record phone calls announce the phone call and give me different ring tones depending on who's calling. It also serves as a way to do a quick Internet search. I call it the kitchen kiosk. And guess what? It's been running for about five years using XP SP3 without a single virus.

I have three other computers that run Windows 7 and I don't use updates at all. No viruses. And I scanner the living crap out of my computers with scanners that most people never even heard of let alone use.

All in all it's how you use the Internet and what files you download, etc.

Again. Check out the now really great freeware Sandboxie for your browser. Configure it so that your profile files stick on browser exit and scan all downloads at Virus Total. Virus Total is great because they have malware samples given to them all over including by the U.S. Cyber Command. Plus, they use a whole pile of anti-virus engines which of course can lead to false positives so read the comments at Virus Total if present.

Another thing I do is clone my computers to external USB drives. Should the proverbial crap hit the fan I just clone back like nothing ever happened. By in large your best defense is a backup clone of your hard drive.

On the subject of "updates." I've seen my fair share of help threads at all kinds of tech forums I'm a member of about how an "update" hosed their computer. Then sometimes you need an update for an update. And you can update an OS till the cows come home and it will still get a virus. There is code out there like JSf*ck, etc that can obfuscate its self so well that nothing is gonna stop it. i.e, polymorphic malware like ransomware. If you clone then it's a zero issue.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 12-10-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    OOM errors? Read this.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

8. Default

On the server side of things, that's a whole other ball game altogether...
    OOM errors? Read this.

9. Default

Not sure it's been mentioned, remember anti virus is one thing and security updates are another. Anti virus will only protect you from viruses come Jan 2020 and nothing else.
    Mark Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    Anti virus will only protect you from viruses come Jan 2020 and nothing else.
    It depends on the antivirus. Many, like mine, Bitdefender, do much more: antivirus, ransomeware protection, anti-tracking, anti-phishing & anti-fraud and network threat protection, to name just what the antivirus module does. Bitdefender also has no noticeable affect on game performance on my mid-range system.

For a good comparison of the various antivirus options, take a look here: https://www.av-comparatives.org/test...tection-tests/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast