Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New antivirus FSX.

1. Default

Been using MS's Defender for years without any infections whatsoever. Also the freeby Malwarebytes.

On this subject have you ever used an anti-virus and it has run out so you look for another, you get a trial version and it scans then finds a Trojan.
    Then you think, 'This one must be good my old AV never found that.' So you upgrade to get the full version thinking this is the one.
    I've done that in the past then I got to thinking that Trojan it found was a scam to get you to buy the full version lol.

Col.

3. Default

I have found that with payware AV that they have to find things to justify the payment, the last couple of PC's I have bought have come with pre-installed payware AV which is free for a year & they seem to find all sorts of malware, yet when I have unstalled them & installed a free AV such as MSE I get none of these so called malware infections even though I visit all of the same websites etc.

At one time I was offered a free trial of the payware version of Malwarebytes. About every 30 seconds it was flashing a popup saying that my computer was being attacked. My trial only lasted about an hour before I deleted the whole mess. I use only the free version of antivirus provided by Firefox and a weekly scan by Superantispyware.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    At one time I was offered a free trial of the payware version of Malwarebytes. About every 30 seconds it was flashing a popup saying that my computer was being attacked.
    You only have to go to VirusTotal (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload) to realise that some AV apps can flag particular files or sites as infected whilst others don't. There's always the possibility that Malwarebytes was seeing a file it considered suspect. I've personally never had any issues with Malwarebytes.

I also use Malwarebytes and have no issues with it...

It should be remembered that Malwarebytes is not an AV product but a Malware detection product so it flags such things as Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) and Potentially Unwanted Program (PUPs) - such programs are also often called Adware, Nagware and Crapware - and the suspicious actions that such programs do.

Such programs varies from being a simple piece of code implanted as a cookie into your browser history that calls 'home' on a regular basis with bits of info and which may also prompt the home server to respond back, to a fully blown product nagging tool designed to entice you to buy a paid version.

Such activities can cause Malwarebytes to flag reports as experienced by Charlie. Using the options, these can be turned off if one wishes and they can then be later reviewed via the activity log tool provided on the user interface GUI
    Regards

Brian

Going back years I fell for one. I got a popup saying I had a very bad virus and this program could delete it, so course I clicked to install the AV, then came another popup asking for money for the full version as that was the only program that could delete this new virus that is sweeping thousands of PC rendering them useless.
    I was panicking thinking at any minute my PC would no longer work, luckily I told a friend at work and he Googled it for me, then he phoned back to say the AV that was asking for money was a scam.
    I remember having a job getting rid of it from my PC, I was fairly new to PC's then and not really knowing what to do, I manged it in the end.

On this subject I not too long ago got a phone call supposedly from MS, it was an Indian woman saying they had detected a virus on my PC, course I had heard of this and I thought quick.
    I pretended to be really dumb and said, "Ah thank you, I know where it came from, it was my grandson. He was on the PC yesterday and he has very bad cold, I bet that is where the PC got the virus."
    She was saying things like, "Oh no, this is another kind of virus."
    I kept up the act twisting everything she said, in the end she gave up, I asked her if there was some kind of spray I could buy to spray the PC to get rid of the germs."

8. Default

Go to YouTube and enter something like, " Microsoft scam." You might be pleasantly amused. Not, I'm a clown, do I amuse you type of amused, but more of a, Chevy Chase type of amusement. LMAO
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    On this subject I not too long ago got a phone call supposedly from MS, it was an Indian woman saying they had detected a virus on my PC, course I had heard of this and I thought quick.
    I pretended to be really dumb and said, "Ah thank you, I know where it came from, it was my grandson. He was on the PC yesterday and he has very bad cold, I bet that is where the PC got the virus."
    She was saying things like, "Oh no, this is another kind of virus."
    I kept up the act twisting everything she said, in the end she gave up, I asked her if there was some kind of spray I could buy to spray the PC to get rid of the germs."
    I had a woman ring me one time trying to tell me my PC wasn't functioning at it's best. I had some fun with her for a while. She ended up telling me to f off and hung up! lol
    Mark Daniels

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    On this subject have you ever used an anti-virus and it has run out so you look for another, you get a trial version and it scans then finds a Trojan.
    Then you think, 'This one must be good my old AV never found that.' So you upgrade to get the full version thinking this is the one.
    I've done that in the past then I got to thinking that Trojan it found was a scam to get you to buy the full version lol.

Col.
    Most of these programs are a scam but you can't convince people of it. When the program tells them this or that, they will believe it. I did some testing on a few well regarded programs years ago and they were clearly scamming people. Blows my mind that it has gone on for so many years and it still keeps going on today.
    For Win 10, the built in virus and firewall protection should be enough for most users.
    If people want an enhanced protection software, I recommend Norton despite what some say about Norton.
    Mark Daniels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast