Checkerboard kai tak Hong kong

williyam

You need to search for the extremely well made "9Dragons" Hong Kong/Kai Tak scenery here on FlightSim because that also includes your checkerboard and even a flashing light VFR approach. A great "must have" scenery indeed but you will also need Jim Vile's AI approach file so that approaching AI aircraft do not approach through the mountain.

A truly great scenery.

Good luck and happy landings.

Hans

Ok there is no checkerboard so . thanks to both Hans and Hjwalter ,

Go see the free addons Calclassic and the 9dragon for Kai tak , dont wanna invest in Fly tampa cause of the coming new msflightsimulater though still fly both fs9 and fsx so maybe will play all 3 then.

William

Yes, the 9Dragons Kai Tak/Hong Kong scenery can be quite demanding on older and not so fast systems. However, Larry (above), has posted a picture of a CalClassic version, clearly also showing the checker board. So maybe you could download and try that one instead, a version which I myself did not know even existed.

Good luck and happy landings.

Hans

• 5 months later...

I have only just noticed that the checkerboard and detailed Kai Tak is missing from FS9? I used to use FS98 and believe it was there then?

Can anyone give me and accurate grid ref for the 'mountain' the checkerboard is on please? I want to create an accurate airport and buildings with ADE from the hey days of the 70/80's. I will create a Sketchup 'model' of the board and see if I can place this right.

I was lucky enough to work in Hong Kong for a while and used to love that approach circling the island, in the stack, hearing the flap motors dropping the flaps for approach and the thump of the gear, then that sharp right turn. Watching people on balconies ABOVE us looking down! Chek Lap Cok is just boring so I wont ever go back.

Vintage Avgas Head - "Dancing The Skies"......

Try searching the FS2004 library here for the legendary 9Dragons Kai Tak scenery, it's one of the "must have" add-ons for FS2004.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Try searching the FS2004 library here for the legendary 9Dragons Kai Tak scenery, it's one of the "must have" add-ons for FS2004.

Thanks for that I have downloaded and installed and just flown a circuit touch and go. However I had to 'guess' my base leg as............

NO CHECKERBOARD???

Can anyone please give me the exact coordinates of which hill the board is on please? Im going to make up a board in Sketchup and place it as thats vital for the turning point onto the runway.

Cannot understand why the amazing scenery is there but they 'forgot' the approach turn?:confused:

Cannot understand why the amazing scenery is there but they 'forgot' the approach turn?:confused:

I think you're expecting something a lot bigger and more pronounced, it's just a small hill off the end of the runway nestled in amongst the city buildings.

Here are a couple images I posted in this thread which are now missing from that post:

Pitchover002.jpg

Pitchover003.jpg

You should be able to tune the ISG and follow it down to the checkerboards just like an ILS, when you get there disconnect the AP and make a perfectly timed right turn to roll out on the runway heading and plunk it down gracefully on the numbers - that's the hard part, haven't yet been completely satisfied with my own performance doing that so far in spite of many attempts. :)

Ive traced that route and this screenshot must be right in the ball park and ive also gone down to 650 feet which should definitely find it - Im convinced that something is blocking it? Ive deleted the addon software I purchased years ago in case that was blocking it but still no sign.

I was aware it is quite small but it seems to be 'missing' from my approach?

checker.jpg

I'll try the ISG approach!

That doesn't look like 9 Dragons to me, I don't have it installed anymore so I can't easily grab a comparison screenshot but 9D is immensely more detailed than that, even including photoreal on the surrounding mountains. Let me see if I can install it and grab a screenshot, it may take a while. :)

That doesn't look like 9 Dragons to me, I don't have it installed anymore so I can't easily grab a comparison screenshot but 9D is immensely more detailed than that, even including photoreal on the surrounding mountains. Let me see if I can install it and grab a screenshot, it may take a while. :)

OK Jim but it SAID 9 Dragons? I owuld have thought it was more detailed?

Ahhhh I have just installed the 2.1 update WOW THE DETAIL and theres the checkerboard!

I went in and manually added the scenery areas

9dragon.jpg

checker4.jpg

Edited by Tendet

That looks better but you seem to be missing some buildings. Did you add all 3 of the scenery library entries? Should be:

9Dragons V2

9Dragons V2 - Landclass

9Dragons V2 - Autogen

...layered like that from top to bottom. More details in "9Dragons KAI TAK ACTIVATION.pdf" located in the "Addon Scenery\9Dragons V2\9Dragons - Goodies" folder

Don't forget to listen to the "Tales from Kai Tak.mp3" too, it's in the Addon Scenery\9Dragons V2\9Dragons - Goodies\Tales from Kai Tak folder. Some neat interviews with actual pilots that flew the approach back in the day.

9D_checkerboard.jpg

OOOH CRIKEY yes my Hong Kong looks like a war zone - very underpopulated! I'll have to go back to the scenery

Im still missing buildings Im not sure im adding it correctly? When I get into the 'scenery' folder its blank ?

I'll read the 'Goodies' folder!

Cheers Jim

Edited by Tendet