Armstrong Whitworth AW38 Whitley Bomber

ColR1948

Another new one for me. Interesting bird! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Nice seeing shots of the Whitley bomber. My father (still alive at 99) talks often of his Whitley pilot days in the RAF in WW2. In 1941 he was the copilot in a sortie over Germany when they ditched in the North Sea. Although all 5 crew survived the ditching the cold November weather took its toll and my father was the only one found alive in the dinghy on the third day.

Question: Is there a flight sim for the Whitley? My father would be delighted to see a flying Whitley again!

Totally Fictional, I attached it to 223 Squadron for desert patrols, I am using her as an IA but as you see she flies nose down attitude, I know some do fly like that but I'm not keen on it, never seems to look right lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]213964[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]213965[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]213966[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]213967[/ATTACH]

Col.

Like almost all aircraft of that era she is a "tail dragger." She flies nose down because they wanted to give the pilot a more level view for landing. This was accomplished by setting the angle of incidence of the wing, which then flew level (after all, it is the wing that keeps the darn thing up), resulting in the nose being lower in flight. Interesting idea that never caught on, and eventually tricycle gear solved the problem.

Like almost all aircraft of that era she is a "tail dragger." She flies nose down because they wanted to give the pilot a more level view for landing. This was accomplished by setting the angle of incidence of the wing, which then flew level (after all, it is the wing that keeps the darn thing up), resulting in the nose being lower in flight. Interesting idea that never caught on, and eventually tricycle gear solved the problem.

Well spoken. And great shots as well! Thanks for the memory lane trip!!

Having said that, a B-52 is also a nose down flyer. In fact in straight and level flight it almost appears to be in a dive.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.