Question I've Asked Before

jbearnolimits

So I've asked this question a few times and it seems the answer is that it's an issue with FSX. I noticed the plane doing a side slip BUT it's coordinated and no wind. This results in landing with my tail left, my nose right, and the CG going straight down the runway. I have been having trouble explaining it so I FINALLY made a video to SHOW it. Could someone take a look just to confirm? https://youtu.be/C2ECvbvtdmU

I know exactly what you're talking about, and it is indeed a flaw in FSX, or more properly in the setup of flight parameters for most aircraft. Most folks seem to not believe it happens, or think it's normal, but adjustments of yaw parameters in section 1101 of the .air file (especially "Yaw Moments" and "Side Forces") can take away the worst of it. However, it takes quite a bit of experimentation to correct the problem, and the correction is different for each aircraft. I've not done much with it myself, but a friend did a lot of experimentation and corrected it on several aircraft we both had.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

How long (far?) before the video starts did you make a turn? Was it a left or right turn? Was the slip angle gradually decreasing?

I hadn't watched the video before my first reply, relying on your description, but I have now, thus the questions above since in that short video I don't see the symptoms I expected.

BTW, that isn't really a sideslip, as generally used in aviation terminology, though it was certainly sideways travel.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

The turn was made about 3 minutes prior. It was a left turn and the angle was steady. I have noticed that if I turn and then fly level it will still drift in the direction of the turn for about 1 minute and then suddenly it will stop drifting. But even the slightest turn to correct the path will cause it to drift again. But that is a full drift with the nose AND tail lined up. This video shows a combination of a bit of the drift AND with the nose and tail not lined up.

OK, so "if I turn and then fly level it will still drift in the direction of the turn for about 1 minute and then suddenly it will stop drifting." indicates the problem I've described before, needing the yaw correction in the .air file. The other piece of it I don't know about at all, except that 1) I've never encountered it and 2) It almost has to be something related to that specific aircraft, but I don't know what.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Jet engines don't have torque, and P-factor is something that affects propellers (uneven thrust), not jets. Whatever is pulling left on takeoff may be what's causing you to slide a bit in the air, also. Perhaps checking control calibration and control settings may help you find the problem.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say: