Avro Shacklton

ColR1948

The Avro Shacklton, long range maritime patrol aircraft. developed from the Avro Lincoln bomber. Introduced in 1951 and retired in 1991.

I found this on one of my old archive disks so put her back in operation, the paint is not mine but I did add the 228 squadron badge on the nose, I changed her to an AI and now got her flying a patrol route round the south coast of England.

There will be more to follow so watch this space lol.

Avro Shackleton Climb.jpg

Avro Shackleton Flight.jpg

Col.

Nice! Must be cool having those birds as AI cruising around in the sim! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi David, it is fairly easy to do, a lot you can get that are made for AI use some flyables I convert. Also some flyables can make a drop in frame rates but I take out as much as I can like panels and sound, also any VC's using a Hex editor, plus textures not needed.

Some flyables don't fly right as AI so I have to tweak the cfg and in some cases change the air file.

Then I make some AI flight plans and get them flying those routes, the Shackleton above I have it flying TnG's to a few waypoints (Invisible airfields) in the sky thus making it look like they are flying circular patrol route.

Having waypoints is also a good way of testing AI too.

Col.

Well I said above, watch this space, this is another one from the 205 squadron based in Singapore, so to add a little authenticity I based it there lol.

Again made it an AI and got her flying a route along the west coast.

It isn't my paint but I did add the squadron badge on the nose.

Avro Shackleton 205 Parked.jpg

Avro Shackleton 205 Flight.jpg

More to follow.

Forgot to add: I have been to Singapore, but when I went it was in a 747, stopped off at Amsterdam to pick up extra pax and fuel, I was going to Australia, stayed in Singapore for a day then flew out the next day to Perth.

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

Hi Rick, yes it does look clean and crisp as you say, I wish they were my paints but they are not. I have had this aircraft for ages, I forgot I had it, I found it on one of my archive disks and not sure who made the model or who did the textures.

It is a FS2004 model, I just did a quick search and found it I think:

http://www.allflightmods.com/flight-simulator-2004/fs20042002-avro-shackleton-mr-mk-2-aew2-v-01/

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

I did a copy texture of WR972, read here:

First flown 6.11.56 and A/Cn 18.12.56, but retained for C(A) development trials on radio, radar, photographic and navigation equipment. Delivered to the A&AEE Boscombe Down 28.12.56, returning to Woodford 24.5.57 and prepared for flight trials of air conditioning, Autolycus, the nitrogen system and checks on noise levels against Contract 6/Acft/13766/ CB6(a). Reallocated to Avro Woodford 15.11.57 for Tl of mods to Contract 6/Acft/ 14824/CB6(a) and Stage I of Mod688 to Contract 6/Acft/15150/CB6(a). Allotted to the A&AEE 28.7.58 for official C(A) Release trials of Mods 688 and 595, the Zero Reader/ ILS installation and the AV 146 flamefloat launcher, arriving at Boscombe three days later. Reallocated to Avro 2.2.59 for TI of Phase II radio (Mod 772) against Contract KD/L/034/CB6(a) and delivered to Langar 11.2.59. WR972 was purchased by the MoA 13.3.59 for the RAE, but continued to be used for the performance testing of Mod 772, being delivered to the A&AEE 23.3.6() for sonobuoy and mixed bomb load clearances. To Avro Langar 15.12.60 for investigation into vibration problems with aerials fitted under Mod 772 (Phase II). WR972 returned to.Boscombe Down 31.1.61 for continuation of radar and radio, Orange Harvest ECM and sonobuoy Mk 1C equipment trials. Finally released to the RAE 10.4.61, the aircraft arrived at Farnborough three days later and was equipped for towing and dragtesting parachutes. Remained in use until fatigue life was expended. SoC Cat.5(Scrap) 31.1.73 and used for fire fighting and rescue training at Farnborough.

So I based her a Farnborough EGLF and got her doing a recon on the South Kent coast.

Avro Shackleton WR973 RAE Flight.jpg

Avro Shackleton WR973 RAE Flight2.jpg

Paint

Avro Shackleton WR973 RAE paint.jpg

copy pic

WR972 Shack pic.jpg

Ah sorry Aaron, I do delete the sound but the AI uses another sound file which I have changed, I am not too keen on the default sounds so did my own.

One that used to send me to sleep was the default single prop sound, that was the first one I changed.

Col.