Center Line on Dash

Jim Hall

When learning on U-Tube on how to fly and navigate the Cessna 172 I notice a vertical line on the dashboard which centers on the runway's centerline. Really nice. However, I don't see it on mine. Are there any insider "tricks" to put one there so when landing I can line up on the vertical line?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Maybe the "target" gauge I helped install in the following thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?298918-Old-Tutorial-How-To-Stay-Aligned-With-The-Runway-On-Approach

(Although I think simply practicing is a better idea. Make sure speed and flaps are set well in advance so you don't need to adjust those on final and can focus fully on alignment.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Jim,

Perhaps this is the modification you are looking for. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1994-How-To-Stay-Aligned-With-The-Runway-On-Approach It is in the Flightsim.com tutorials.

It involves modifying the panel.cfg for the aircraft you are flying, to add a "blue" vertical line in the 2D panel (Field of View), so that you can stay aligned with the runway centreline on approach/landing. It was written for FS2004 but I see no reason that it couldn't be applied to an FSX VC panel in the same way.

Here is the config I used for a test in the FSX default C172 2D panel. (only works with 2D panel afaik)

Make sure you backup your panel.cfg before making changes, by adding these lines to the User aircraft Panel.cfg in this case C172 default (you would need to adjust Window Title, [WindowXX] and line position for other aircraft with 2D panel accordingly).

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window01=Radio Stack

Window02=GPS

Window03=IFR Panel

Window04=Landing View

Window05=Mini Panel

window06=target //

(add the following lines between [Window05] and [VCockpit01] "2D panel" of the C172)

//------------------------------------------------

[Window06]

//VERTICAL BLUE LINE

Background_color=41,200,253

size_mm=512

window_size_ratio=1.00

position=0 visible=0

ident=Target

window_size= 0.003, 0.407

window_pos= 0.513, -0.10 // Position left, Position Up-Down // Increase this Number '.505' Line goes RIGHT Lower this number '0.07' - Line goes up

// ------------------------------------------------

This is how it looks in my FSX C172 - 2D panel

Blue-vertical-line-C172-RW-alignment.jpg

Edited by jethrom

Ok jethrom, you clicked my link, read my answer in that thread, copied it, and reposted it as if you had thought of it yourself.

Maybe next time at least give credit where due.

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not at all, il88pp, I did not read your post. I did my own search as I remembered seeing a tutorial some time ago.

Perhaps PYHI !!.

I did not present it as my own, Credit goes to the Author(s) of that tutorial. My only input is presenting my edits to the Panel.cfg for FSX default C172.

Dissapointed to say the least.

If you need credit ((((th?id=OGC.4a34e091b08e5fc8b6b9fbf90e53d90d&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2f1.bp.blogspot.com%2f-4pOXcwSR3Fc%2fWLuyUG8QrqI%2fAAAAAAAAVD0%2f-ue_O_6cHho8OLfS0f3l-EeWgvSTZnO7QCLcB%2fs1600%2femoji-clapping.gif&ehk=w9KXvi9ZqnZj8lfFQXHCwqb2v%2bw1%2bfOaupPiRhZM9wI%3d))))

Edited by jethrom

Many thanks gentlemen for your responses. Now to try them.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

I don't recall which menu, but somewhere in the DISPLAY stuff there is an option to switch it on.

Well, my memory wasn't that great. I finally got a chance to run FSX, and what I was thinking of was under Views/Axis Indicator where you can get a V or 4 dots , and it's not specifically windshield related. Sorry 'bout that. Glad others have better info.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!