Thread: Article: Ratty's Ramblings - Slow Flight

Blog Entries

Default Article: Ratty's Ramblings - Slow Flight

Good stuff brings back some great memories; cant wait for the next article.
    ~Doc~

Informative, engaging, beautifully clear, thanks!

A lot of good material that is well covered here. I do have a couple of relatively minor nitpicks, mostly with phraseology, rather than with the actual facts, though the first one below is a sim problem, not something in real aircraft. My comments below come from things I've learned in years of instructing, mostly about how people behave and how they react to certain phrases.

"since we are blessed with the ideal device with which to explore stall behavior"

I'd note that many FS aircraft don't do stalls well, and quite a number have characteristics, especially in slow flight, that would never be allowed (or in some cases physically possible) in real aircraft. But as long as you're not quite at the brink of the stall most will do fairly well. Most won't spin either.

"Then apply power and pull back carefully on the stick;"

To minimize ham-fistedness, I'd suggest you "add back pressure" rather than "pull back on the stick" since the former phrase tends to make people think of yanking, rather than adding pressure only to the point needed, leading to overcontrol.

"The plane falls out of the sky."

This phrase will scare people in real life, so since the aircraft doesn't completely lose lift in a stall, though it no longer has enough lift to maintain altitude and attitude, and it's not really falling (though it is a relatively rapid descent) like a rock would fall, I'd suggest a slightly different wording, keeping in mind that the nose drop is the aircraft trying to regain flying speed.

All in all, a fine article -- thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    A lot of good material that is well covered here. I do have a couple of relatively minor nitpicks, mostly with phraseology, rather than with the actual facts, though the first one below is a sim problem, not something in real aircraft. My comments below come from things I've learned in years of instructing, mostly about how people behave and how they react to certain phrases.

"since we are blessed with the ideal device with which to explore stall behavior"

I'd note that many FS aircraft don't do stalls well, and quite a number have characteristics, especially in slow flight, that would never be allowed (or in some cases physically possible) in real aircraft. But as long as you're not quite at the brink of the stall most will do fairly well. Most won't spin either.

"Then apply power and pull back carefully on the stick;"

To minimize ham-fistedness, I'd suggest you "add back pressure" rather than "pull back on the stick" since the former phrase tends to make people think of yanking, rather than adding pressure only to the point needed, leading to overcontrol.

"The plane falls out of the sky."

This phrase will scare people in real life, so since the aircraft doesn't completely lose lift in a stall, though it no longer has enough lift to maintain altitude and attitude, and it's not really falling (though it is a relatively rapid descent) like a rock would fall, I'd suggest a slightly different wording, keeping in mind that the nose drop is the aircraft trying to regain flying speed.

All in all, a fine article -- thanks.
    Thanks, Larry, that means a lot. I fly A2A aircraft most of the time, and forget the others don't all stall (and spin) like those. That deserved a mention. "Add back pressure" is a definite improvement. And "The plane falls out of the sky" was intended as humorous hyperbole - which I guess just missed the mark.

Very few freeware addons stall, by the way...Even FS basic aircraft. I hope the next FSX will improve this very important issue.

AH good Ol FS-2 on the C-64. Halfway between KISP and KMVY....Loading.....Loading.....Loading.
    Alas it is where I got bitten on Flight Simulation.

Great article on flying slow and stall/spin recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhr View Post
    Thanks, Larry, that means a lot. I fly A2A aircraft most of the time, and forget the others don't all stall (and spin) like those. That deserved a mention. "Add back pressure" is a definite improvement. And "The plane falls out of the sky" was intended as humorous hyperbole - which I guess just missed the mark.
    Yes, there are a few payware (maybe even a freeware or two) that have much improved behavior over the "norm," and a friend of mine had a passion for making FS aircraft behave much like real ones, so I've been fortunate to have slips and spins in many of my FS aircraft.

Sorry I missed the humor, though -- guess I was in the wrong frame of mind to catch that.

But thanks for such a well thought out article Ian -- not many folks will share that type of info (too few even know a lot of that), so it's great to see someone do so.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Good info and I agree about A2A when it comes to simulated realism. I do not have a PPL, but I do.have more than 20 hours in my training logbook in a Cessna 152,. The A2A 182 I fly on p3d feels as close to real as any sim.plane I have ever flown. BTW, like you, I started on the C64 back in thee mid 1980s, we have come a long way

Sherm

10. Default

I doubt I will ever be a real pilot, but I took the Tara River Valley cruise described here. Remarkably beautiful and fun to fly with the sim set to the current date (I have P3D, Orbx and Rex). Perhaps it's my imagination, but the scenery here seemed more realistic than in most areas, or perhaps owing to the winterscape and the juxtaposition of cultivated fields and wilderness.

BTW, I had FS2 on an Apple IIc in the late 1980s, and I have the computer, monitor and the original FS software packed up in plastic peanuts in the garage. Surely worth countless thousands today . . . .