Very low fps in flight simulator x

captain auwal

Hello,

I recently got a new laptop with an i3-8145u (2.1ghz upto 3.9ghz) 2cores,4 threads, Intel uhd 620,12gb ddr4 ram,128gb nVme ssd,500gb hdd,I installed fsx deluxe edition,created a flight with a default aircraft(737-800) at a small default airport without any add-ons and noticed a very unplayable performance (5-7)fps I turned down all the settings and changed the aircraft to a much smaller plane at a smaller airport and only got 11-13 fps.I also noticed that the mouse cursor was black and the game looks somehow blurred,I tried reinstalling the sim,nothing changed.

I also have fs2004 installed and it runs buttery smooth with lots of complex/payware seneries and airport and pmdg airplanes,I get over 30 fps easily without any issues.

I had a much slower laptop with an Intel Celeron processor at 2.53ghz(no turbo boost), Intel hd 4000 gpu and 4gb ram and I get much better fps in fsx,I get 30 fps with the default 737-800 at Dubai airport or even JFK airport(default).I am also running windows 10 home,do you think it is because of the windows version.I run fsx on windows 7 in my previous laptop.

Please help me,I don't know what to do to get fsx smooth on this laptop.Thankyou.

Edited by captain auwal

With a 2.1 GHz CPU, that is probably as good as it gets for FSX, which is much more demanding of resources than FS2004.

Notice that I am talking about the sustained clock rate - in flight simulations, the so-called "turbo", "up-to" or "burst" rates do not matter one iota. That also tells you why FSX runs much better on a 2.53 GHz CPU.

What you can do is to go here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

and follow the instructions as appropriate for your system, but do not hold out any hope for a stellar performance.

Jorgen

in flight simulations, the so-called "turbo", "up-to" or "burst" rates do not matter one iota

What's your reasoning? The important caveat with turbo speed is it clocks up under load, but only one core. If it stays under load, it stays clocked up. That sounds like a good fit for FSX.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thankyou both for your reply,I know fsx depends mainly on a single core,and the i3 8145u has a high single core performance compared to many processors running fsx fine with loads of addons,I have very demanding games installed on the laptop and the laptop maintains its boost speed for a long period of time(I also use a laptop cooler).For a laptop that runs fs9 with sliders almost set to Max and lots of complex sceneries and aircrafts to run fsx with barely 10 fps on low settings without any add-ons installed,I think something must be wrong.

Thanks

Make sure to install the service packs. SP1 and SP2. (or acceleration pack instead.) They make fsx perform better.

Also as the OS is recently installed and probably still downloading and installing updates in the background. Once that process is finished performance of programs should get better as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It certainly does clock up under load, but for a few seconds only. Then it has to throttle down in order to protect itself against overheating, as demonstrated by the low frame rate achieved... hint: this is a laptop = cooling issues.

What is needed is a high sustained clock rate, as opposed to turbo etc.

Jorgen

Good grief, I think you need to decide what it is you're arguing and then stick to it!

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I finally fixed the problem,turns out that the only thing I was missing was SP1 and SP2.i installed both and fsx runs significantly better with plenty of add-ons installed.I get anything between 25-40 fps in the vc of a 737ngx at fly Tampa dubai,with Rex, ultimate traffic 2,Gsx installed.I also have the FTX Gobal Basepack installed along with UK, AU and Pacific Northwest and it runs very nice.I never taught my laptop will run fsx this good,and I am very satisfied with the performance.Thankyou all for you help!

Cheers