Fsx scenery.cfg missing!!!

CessnaFlyer

i was flying today and had to try to get off the ground 3 times due to G3D.DLL crashes. and I went and deleted the scenery cfg in the C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming fold for fsx but it's not regenerating a new scenery.cfg. but I'm not getting an error when I launch the sim nor does it say creating scenery. do I need to reinstall the simulator or just keep flying? I don't want to reinstall cause I am on a cross country trip and hope I can just rebuild the scenery:confused:
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

If you can continue to fly and see scenery below, I would guess the sim recovered.

I won't ask why you "did" before asking....

I won't ask why you remove/delete things instead of just moving them out of the way.

I will ask if you still have a copy of the default scenery.cfg in your fsx root folder that the sim would use to rebuild.

I will ask if you have a backup copy in the original location of your scenery.cfg

I will ask if you tried to open the scenery library inside the sim in the usual manner.

I will ask if deleting the cfg file fixed the crashes...

I will ask if you have disk or Steam version (because the Steam repair method is super easy)

I will ask if you have a backup of your whole basic FSX so this doesn't happen again (if you have a disk version)

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

well deleting the scenery cfg where the FSX config is located is supposed to rebuild the scenery cause I keep getting G3D.DLL crashes and restarts of the simulator. and yes I still have the scenery.cfg in the main FSX folder. but for some reason it don't seem to be rebuilding the scenery to put the file back in the C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming/fsx for some reason. I suppose as long as it's working I will just fly it. the sim seems to running just fine with out it. because I hate to have to reformat the computer for something that's not broke right now. and it's the CD version of the simulator.

Do you want the original back? If so, follow my steps one by one.

1) Download shadowcopyview from here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shadow_copy_view.html

2) At the very top chose a shadow copy date. Not a date when you deleted the file, but close to it before you deleted the file.

3) At the bottom you will have to manually navigate to the path of the scenery.cfg file in your C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming/fsx

4) Once the file is found, right click it and chose Copy Selected Files To. Chose your desktop and paste that file back to its original location.

An alternative is Shadow Explorer. https://www.shadowexplorer.com/documentation/manual.html

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

well deleting the scenery cfg where the FSX config is located is supposed to rebuild the scenery cause I keep getting G3D.DLL crashes and restarts of the simulator. and yes I still have the scenery.cfg in the main FSX folder. but for some reason it don't seem to be rebuilding the scenery to put the file back in the C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming/fsx for some reason. I suppose as long as it's working I will just fly it. the sim seems to running just fine with out it. because I hate to have to reformat the computer for something that's not broke right now. and it's the CD version of the simulator.

There is NO correlation between G3D.dll errors and scenery .cfg.

G3D.dll errors are caused by errors in Windows, NOT in FSX...

https://secure.pcsystemfix.com/fix-windows-errors/?error=G3D.Dll%20Errors&gclid=CjwKCAiA5o3vBRBUEiwA9PVzahEsP8gmW0ym0nihXhgZjxJ0wo4altX8Drd2mwHhKWEK1kykDz7rIRoCoxQQAvD_BwE

The scenery.cfg that fsx user is not in the folder you deleted. You are not getting "missing scenery area" messages on startup, so there is nothing to repair.

(the scenery.cfg file that fsx uses to keep track of the area's you installed is in the location that f16_jockey gave.)

again, nothing to fix, so go fly!:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The scenery.cfg that fsx user is not in the folder you deleted. You are not getting "missing scenery area" messages on startup, so there is nothing to repair.

(the scenery.cfg file that fsx uses to keep track of the area's you installed is in the location that f16_jockey gave.)

again, nothing to fix, so go fly!:D

ok sweet thanks. and @mallcott thank you I thought it was a scenery thing. so I will remember that and I have a gaming computer now that's using windows 10. so I might have to update my signature. cause I got a new computer. just for got to change things. lol.