Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Article: Op-Ed: Let's Talk About Microsoft Flight Simulator

Blog Entries

Default Article: Op-Ed: Let's Talk About Microsoft Flight Simulator

So why wouldn't they tell you the specs?

Yes, indeed no tech specs, no buy until I have them, all of them clearly up-front.

Quote Originally Posted by dpg View Post
    So why wouldn't they tell you the specs?
    As the sim is still in the alpha stage, it is too early to know what the required specs will be. They are still working on what features will be included, as well as optimizing the sim. Best to wait until it has been released and read a couple reviews to what hardware will be best.

I've heard this sim will be subscription based which, if true, is a big off-putter for me.

Michael, let me be the first to say thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the new sim with the community.

It's very much appreciated, so thanks again!

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by TightGit View Post
    I've heard this sim will be subscription based which, if true, is a big off-putter for me.
    Microsoft has said it will be available as a standalone purchase as well as through Xbox Game Pass. Any talk of subscription beyond this is just rumour right now.

Seems interesting. Were they actually demonstrating the "streaming"? I doubt it. My guess is it will require the best/fastest components (CPU/GPU), one can purchase $$ plus fastest internet speeds you can acquire (5G?). Then consider the purchase of the product and a monthly subscription to constantly d/l all those GBs of amazing scenery.

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer"... just realistic in my expectations. But again I am looking forward to see the end results in a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
    Seems interesting. Were they actually demonstrating the "streaming"? I doubt it. My guess is it will require the best/fastest components (CPU/GPU), one can purchase $$ plus fastest internet speeds you can acquire (5G?). Then consider the purchase of the product and a monthly subscription to constantly d/l all those GBs of amazing scenery.

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer"... just realistic in my expectations. But again I am looking forward to see the end results in a year from now.
    They have demonstrated the streaming at previous events, as well as talked about it in interviews, and it sounds like internet connections of ~20 Mb/s will be fast enough for the streaming. Of course this may change as they optimize the sim over the next year and finalize the features. There is also the option of downloading and caching the streamed content for offline use too. On the other hand, data caps could certainly be an issue for some, and there is a completely offline mode as well.

As for hardware specs, it will probably happily take advantage of the fastest hardware you throw at it, however, I suspect it will run much better on mid range PCs as well. Unlike ACES and FSX, Asobo has the advantage of knowing better what hardware the sim will be running on, and will be working to take full advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Microsoft has said it will be available as a standalone purchase as well as through Xbox Game Pass. Any talk of subscription beyond this is just rumour right now.
    Good news there.

W33
    X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast