Through the St Louis Arch!!

Rupert

OK! Let's be honest here. How many Real World and Sim Pilots have never flown over a high off the ground bridge or arch and not dreamed of going under/through it? My guess is not a one of us!

RW when they really needed pilots for combat, we RW guys got away with a lot of "small" or "minor" violations that would have cost us our wings otherwise. But they really needed cannon fodder so we got yelled at a lot but did pull some crazy stunts!!:cool::cool:

Having said that, A: The Arch in St. Louis Missouri hadn't been built back in the 1960's. B: I don't think even any of us would have been dumb enough to fly through an arch in the middle of a city even way back then!

So, since we didn't do it RW then and really shouldn't do it RW now, I'm going to shoot a high speed pass under the St. Louis Arch while simming. Forget about taking my RW license! I'm too damned old and messed up to still have one now anyway!:mad:;)

Enjoy, ;)

Michael

Downwind when I get the crazy idea!:p

A1 Downwind.jpg

Entering when I suddenly realize just how crazy this is!! :eek::rolleyes:

A2 Enter.jpg

YES! It really happened, at least in the Sim world! I did fly through the St. Louis Arch!! :rolleyes:

A3Exit.jpg

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Great! That reminds me of the beginning of a French movie, Les aventuriers. Alain Delon, a pilot and named Manu Borelli, considers flying under the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. That fails because a flag was hanged there. And here goes the movie with another project made by Lino Ventura also failing!

On the other hand, I think another RW pilot's fantasy is to fly much close to the ground. Very dangerous too. Watch power lines :)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

The fun part of simming! Inverted through and under things are fun to do! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have certainly done my share of virtually illegal flying over the years. :o

Most objects seem to have massive bounding boxes lately. I often crash before I even get near the bridge. :mad: -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Great! That reminds me of the beginning of a French movie, Les aventuriers. Alain Delon, a pilot and named Manu Borelli, considers flying under the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. That fails because a flag was hanged there. And here goes the movie with another project made by Lino Ventura also failing!

On the other hand, I think another RW pilot's fantasy is to fly much close to the ground. Very dangerous too. Watch power lines :)

Actually G'erard, just above the tree tops was our normal flying altitude real world with choppers in Vietnam. The CH-34, which was lucky to maintain 90 knots straight and level was a huge target. Even a CH-46 was lucky to maintain 135. So flying at treetop level meant there was a very short period of time for the enemy to shoot at you!!

Helped keep me alive!!;)

Michael

BTW: There were almost no power lines to be an issue in Vietnam.

Edited by Rupert

I have certainly done my share of virtually illegal flying over the years. :o

Most objects seem to have massive bounding boxes lately. I often crash before I even get near the bridge. :mad: -- Bob

I sim flew through the big old blimp hanger at the Moffett Air Facility near Alameda a couple of times and posted pictures here a few years ago. I'll have to do that again. You might want to try it as well. ;)

BTW: Speaking of blimp hangers, I was mostly stationed at the Santa Ana Marine Corps Air Facility between trips to Vietnam. The Air Facility had two blimp hangers as well.

Being almost right by the freeway, those hangers were considered a huge and visible landmark on the automobile trips from LA to San Diego. The last time I was in the area both hangers had been torn down and replaced with boring office buildings. Though the empty field is still in the FSX scenery of the area. Come to think of it, I haven't checked to see if it shows in P3D or not.

Sadly the Santa Ana facility was near the El Toro Marine Corps Air Station. Why sad? The El Toro guys liked to fly A-4s and F-4s through one of the hangers.

That stunt got to be so bad we had to post a Notice To Airmen that as of such and such a date both hangers would have the doors closed on at least one end 24/7. The ventilation wasn't nearly as good with one set of doors closed but it sure was a lot quieter than having jet jockeys flying through!!! :mad::mad:

And yes, when I mentioned we got away with stuff back then because they needed us for cannon fodder, stunts like hanger fly-throughs is one of the things I had in mind.

Michael

Edited by Rupert