Disappointed to say the least!

As a Developer I find very disappointing that MS is Not providing the Alpha or Beta of their supposedly new Sim to developers who ask for it. They know it is hard, sometimes very hard, to set up for a new simulator if you are developing under the present available sims. But as always MS does strange things and hardly try to help others with their belief that helping possible competition in any way, repeat in any way, is a bad thing. That's usually the thinking pattern of "Elites".

Nobody, at least publicly, has access to the alphas. It sounds like they are still testing them internally to get them ready for people to use. From the X019 interviews they do seem quite intent on getting them out to people. Using a broken alpha release doesn't seem like it would help third party developers very much.

They have stated, in a video, that 60 developers have been approached so far.

You have to apply to become an Alpha tester. Being a developer does not automatically be accepted into the Alpha testing program. To think so is quite elitist!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Well, that's that. The problem I see is that Not making available to all developers, well known and professional ones who make addons for pay, is not a good policy IF you really want for All to participate with their products. Anyway, we'll see what happens in the near or long future with their policy. Getting to know the ins and outs of software one works on top of i or with it is not an easy nor fast way. The Past of MS with other developers has no 5 star ending so to have Skepticism is not being elitist as Robin says from South Africa. Many developers live from their sales Robin. Good day.

Well, that's that. The problem I see is that Not making available to all developers, well known and professional ones who make addons for pay, is not a good policy IF you really want for All to participate with their products. Anyway, we'll see what happens in the near or long future with their policy. Getting to know the ins and outs of software one works on top of i or with it is not an easy nor fast way. The Past of MS with other developers has no 5 star ending so to have Skepticism is not being elitist as Robin says from South Africa. Many developers live from their sales Robin. Good day.

Perhaps they simply aren't at a point that they can provide developers something useful? Seeing as we very likely have plenty of time before the final release, I don't see any reason to get so worked up just yet.

Have a read of the Flightsim.com interview on the front page. It touches on the SDK and what they are doing.

• Founder
They have stated, in a video, that 60 developers have been approached so far.

You have to apply to become an Alpha tester. Being a developer does not automatically be accepted into the Alpha testing program. To think so is quite elitist!

I'd have to disagree there...It would be proper to give developers -- all of them -- access to the new sim as soon as possible so they can learn how to add to it, also as soon as possible.

Why?

They have said that they want to get the sim as perfect as possible before release, therefore, as the sim is in a tech alpha stage, many things within the sim could change.

Imagine if addon developers started developing now, spending time effort and money, and their product tanked at release, if there were changes within the core sim. Imagine the critics saying that MS has done it again..

Patience, young Jedi.. Both developers and users are trying to get their hands on the sim.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Why?

They have said that they want to get the sim as perfect as possible before release

Because I am not convinced they are building the best PC flight sim they could build. They are working within restrictions. I haven't changed my view since the announcement of MSFS and still have not seen anything to change my mind.

I can see reason why MSFS may not be as open to 3rd party development as in past sims. Let's see what happens.

And of course they are going to say they want to get the sim as perfect as possible before release. What would you expect them to say?

Mark Daniels

Doesn't sound like you will need to wait much longer for the SDK.

SDK UPDATE

The team is making good progress on the SDK development. While still in the early stages, the plan is to provide an initial version of the SDK to the 3rd party developer community before the end of the year. Our goal has been to involve 3rd parties early in the development process, and to give them the ability to influence our priorities and how we author the SDK. After the first wave of initial 3rd party developer visits onsite with the team, we’ve been incredibly excited by the optimism and feedback we’ve received thus far. These same tools will be provided to the community in effort to ensure the tools we use to create content, tools that undergo constant testing in our production environment, are shared with all our creators. Initially, the SDK will offer the ability to author planes, sceneries and custom missions. For those with a preference for using FSX tools, SimConnect will be supported. We will also support additional modern standards like HTML for UI and glTF for 3D models

I hope the SDK gets put out for "All" developers--"All" as oon as possible. I keep remembering the promises the "Flight" Team made. I am, Yes!!, very skeptic...."very".

I think there are some good indicators this isn't going to be another Flight. For example, the project lead for Flight thought 20,000 airports was too confusing for users and cut the sim down to Hawaii at launch. Asobo, on the other hand have frequently talked about having more than 40,000 airports. I have a feeling the big issues with the new sim will be along the lines of performance of all the new features, and people not getting the features they personally want at launch (even though MS has said they are committed to building this for the next 10 years).

Mr. loki says" I think there are some good indicators this isn't going to be another Flight. For example, the project lead for Flight thought 20,000 airports was too confusing for users and cut the sim down to Hawaii at launch. Asobo, on the other hand have frequently talked about having more than 40,000 airports. I have a feeling the big issues with the new sim will be along the lines of performance of all the new features, and people not getting the features they personally want at launch (even though MS has said they are committed to building this for the next 10 years)."

I admire your optimism!!!!...:) :) :)...

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see I am not just one of the few who is not hyped about Flight Simulator. Even so with FSX in its decade of existence, this program (FSX) has so much to offer. Other than cool satellite quality graphics, in the upcoming Flight Simulator release, I feel it looks like I will be flying in that Will Smith movie where New York is dead and void of people except zombies. The only thing I am hoping for is a better ATC engine, I only fly with default ATC.

With all that being said...I am wondering if it is even worth designing stuff for FSX. I will post my creations as I do, but it just seems the number of downloads are dwindling. I have a few more projects I am working on in San Diego, Eugene and Pearl Harbor.

My intention is to wait on the purchase of Flight Simulator until after a year. I know some folks still use FS9, and I would too if I hadn't broke that magical required disk. But I feel it is better to wait for all the bugs get worked out and wait for some add-on availability. Another issue is that I have so much $ invested in FSX too. :(

• 2 months later...

My intention is to wait on the purchase of Flight Simulator until after a year. I know some folks still use FS9, and I would too if I hadn't broke that magical required disk. But I feel it is better to wait for all the bugs get worked out and wait for some add-on availability. Another issue is that I have so much $ invested in FSX too. :(

Owning a ton of ORBX scenery, a hand built computer designed for FSX and P3D v4.5 as well, I'll probably hold onto my card for a while too. ;)

Another good reason for having patience is what I call the Corvair or Vega factor. TBTG I didn't join a lot of Chevy fans and jump on either of those autos when they first came out!!:eek::eek: Hind sight is 20/20. Foresight is much more accurate with a little dab of patience!!;)

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Maddog80...

You don't 'invest' in a game, you spend money on addons.

To invest is toput (money) into financial schemes, shares, property, or a commercial venture with the expectation of achieving a profit.

So, those that 'invest' in their not for profit game is spending money. That money spent, by definition, will not accrue monetary value at all.

Just saying..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

There are other ways to profit than by financial value.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 1 month later...
There are other ways to profit than by financial value.

The older I get the more I can understand and agree with that statement!! Giving a smile to someone else is certainly a profit to both of us. And money, it's just money!;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize those who are testers will not be able to share anything they have experienced with the new MSFS platform. I realize that many have spent a lot of money on scenery enhancements, airport addons, aircraft, etc.

But, if what the developers of MSFS 2020 have shown is not stimulating, wherein you have a world wide flying platform that is years ahead of the previous versions, with VFR capabilities, why wouldn't developers have a wonderful time making addons, both scenery and aircraft, alike? I can't wait.

Edited by Timberleaf

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"